Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Second Day of Quitting....UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

...smoking!  I did okay yesterday, but this afternoon it's been a real challenge.  I tried to quit cold turkey about two months ago, but I ended up grabbing one of my hubby's cigs later that first night after having cravings that just wouldn't go away.  This time I'm using the nicotine gum, and it's helped--some.  The main reason I'm trying to quit is that we are trying to have another baby and I wanted to be quit before I got pregnant.  I did manage to quit three years ago after I found out I was expecting, but even then it took me about two weeks to stop completely.

I've smoked since I was 16 (about 7 years) and lately I've been smoking around a pack a day.  And I'm surrounded by smokers: my hubby, my mom, my best friend, most of my hubby's family smoke, plus several at work who often go on break at the same time as me. 

I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement from any of you who have been through this--'cause I'm really struggling at the moment.

UPDATE:  I've made it through 5 days...the longest I've ever gone without a cig (except for when I was pregnant).  More than once it's been touch-and-go, and I've almost caved a few times.  I'm just so emotional and have even broken down in tears.  What's with THAT?  I really want to give in and have a cig--but I've made it this far, so I won't!  I'll keep everyone posted, and I hope you send me your good thoughts.  Thanks!

Update #2:  Yesterday was day 7, so I've made it through a whole week!  :)  I've never gone longer than that (other that when I was pregnant) since I had my first cigarette!  I'm doing....okay.  There are still times when I really, really, REALLY want a cig.  My jaws have been so sore from chewing so much gum, so I did give in and bought an e-cigarette yesterday, which I tried for the first time on my break at work.  I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more like a real cig, but I'm still not smoking. 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamarama333
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I'm on day 5. I know your pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Congrats on quitting. The first few days are the hardest! Good luck!! Maybe you can try the e-cigarettes? My aunt has been doing that. It's working really well for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
southernbelle07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM
DH is on day 3. He is using the gum. I am doing everything I can to try to keep frustration at a minimal. He's been smoking for 20 years. He's done very well, I would say.

Take it a moment at a time. Keep baby thoughts in your mind and remind yourself why you are doing it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
claddison
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i am cutting back drastically right now so i can start quitting with the help of the patch.  i have been smoking for 15 years and i too am surrounded by smokers.    good luck to you mama.

rayroe2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I stopped cold turkey. I just wanted to quite and it felt nasty and when I would get carvings I would just eat pretzles or suck on some candy. I just had told my self I couldn't afford it.

kinleysmom11
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm 20 and I smoked for about 4 years. When I was 17 my brother passed away and I quit eating almost completely for a week and smoked about two packs a day for pretty much that whole week. Obviously I cut back ALOT after a while, but I'd say the whole time I smoked I was about a half a pack a day smoker on average. I smoked more when I would hang out with friends that smoked or when I would have a beer or something. (this was all before I had my baby). I found out I was pregnant when I was 19 and quit smoking completely after about 2 weeks. (like you said you did). My fiance continued to smoke throughout my entire pregnancy and it didn't bother me because he didn't really do it around me, and I just kept it in mind that if I ever smoked while I was pregnant that it would affect my baby, so i just didn't do it. I felt great after I quit and then once my daughter was born in december of 2011. I stayed away from smoking for about 3 weeks, until one night my fiance was outside smoking, the baby was FINALLY asleep, so I went outside and smoked a cigarette. Of course it tasted disgusting and It seems like when you have a craving you more or less build it up in your head that it's going to be so much greater to smoke a cigarette than it really is. I said I wasn't going to smoke again after that one cigarette. Slowly, but surely, I started to smoke again. Sage(my fiance) would just leave me about 5 cigarettes a day because he would leave for work at around 9 am and wouldn't get off work until 8 pm. (I was a stay at home mom at the time) So I would space my cigarettes out to make them last. I would quit off and on the whole 8 months that I was a stay at home mom, but it was really hard because I would get bored after I cleaned the house and my daughter would be napping so I'd go outside to smoke. then after a while I was smoking about 3 or 4 a day. I would smoke once in the morning around 10 am. then again at 1pm, then 4 pm, then around 8 or 9 when Sage would get home from work. Then after a while I would skip my morning cigarette and just smoke at 1, 4, and 9ish. Then I started to realize that the longer I would hold out to smoke the more I felt like I didn't need it during the day. I would smoke my first cigarette of the day after I cleaned the house and did everthing I needed to do and that was about 3 pm. I started back to work again and I got to the point where I wouldn't even think about smoking during the day. Sage FINALLY had quit smoking because he got a cold and smoking didn't appeal to him the entire time. He quit cold turkey {(as far as i know lol). I was still having a hard time with it but he would give me a hard time for smoking, and even though it was annoying, it kind of helped. about a month ago I started to only smoke on the drive to work about 4:30 pm. and on the drive home from work (8:30). (my daughter wasn't in the car by the way). So I cut back to only 2 a day. then I ran out of my pack and I haven't smoked in 12 days. I've heard that it only takes 7 days to break cigarettes and I think it's mostly true. For me, the second and third days are the hardest. I don't know if you believe in God or not, and to some people this may sound silly, but every time I would have a craving, I would pray. I just asked God to take the craving away, and it worked. Like I said, to some it may sound silly, but it really did work for me because I began to realize that I DO NOT NEED CIGARETTES. IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

IN MY OPINION (you should try this)

set yourself with a complete cut off date. like a 2 weeks from now.

Tomorrow limit yourself to 10 or so, and just cut down to 9, then 8, then 7, etc every few days until you have like 2 or 3 a day. Then start smoking only half of them (it will seem like your smoking more than you really are). then once you reach your cut off date, you should be down to smoking like a half a cig a day, JUST QUIT. Like I said the 2nd and 3rd days were hardest for me, but If you can just get through to day 7, you're home free. I don't reccomend the gum, because It's not the same as a cig, It's like a "give me something to do with my hands" type of habit. Not only that but the nicotene is just feeding your cravings not stopping them.

Keep me updated on how your doing. and every time you feel like you're at the end of your temper, (if you believe in God or a higher power) Just ask for help from that.

kinleysmom11
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to rephrase my first sentance. I don't know EXACTLY how you feel. You've been smoking a little longer than I did, but I still feel like this might work for you since you haven't been smoking for 20 years. Also I saw another woman post about how you should keep reminding yourself of your child. THAT WORKS VERY WELL too.

Quoting kinleysmom11:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm 20 and I smoked for about 4 years. When I was 17 my brother passed away and I quit eating almost completely for a week and smoked about two packs a day for pretty much that whole week. Obviously I cut back ALOT after a while, but I'd say the whole time I smoked I was about a half a pack a day smoker on average. I smoked more when I would hang out with friends that smoked or when I would have a beer or something. (this was all before I had my baby). I found out I was pregnant when I was 19 and quit smoking completely after about 2 weeks. (like you said you did). My fiance continued to smoke throughout my entire pregnancy and it didn't bother me because he didn't really do it around me, and I just kept it in mind that if I ever smoked while I was pregnant that it would affect my baby, so i just didn't do it. I felt great after I quit and then once my daughter was born in december of 2011. I stayed away from smoking for about 3 weeks, until one night my fiance was outside smoking, the baby was FINALLY asleep, so I went outside and smoked a cigarette. Of course it tasted disgusting and It seems like when you have a craving you more or less build it up in your head that it's going to be so much greater to smoke a cigarette than it really is. I said I wasn't going to smoke again after that one cigarette. Slowly, but surely, I started to smoke again. Sage(my fiance) would just leave me about 5 cigarettes a day because he would leave for work at around 9 am and wouldn't get off work until 8 pm. (I was a stay at home mom at the time) So I would space my cigarettes out to make them last. I would quit off and on the whole 8 months that I was a stay at home mom, but it was really hard because I would get bored after I cleaned the house and my daughter would be napping so I'd go outside to smoke. then after a while I was smoking about 3 or 4 a day. I would smoke once in the morning around 10 am. then again at 1pm, then 4 pm, then around 8 or 9 when Sage would get home from work. Then after a while I would skip my morning cigarette and just smoke at 1, 4, and 9ish. Then I started to realize that the longer I would hold out to smoke the more I felt like I didn't need it during the day. I would smoke my first cigarette of the day after I cleaned the house and did everthing I needed to do and that was about 3 pm. I started back to work again and I got to the point where I wouldn't even think about smoking during the day. Sage FINALLY had quit smoking because he got a cold and smoking didn't appeal to him the entire time. He quit cold turkey {(as far as i know lol). I was still having a hard time with it but he would give me a hard time for smoking, and even though it was annoying, it kind of helped. about a month ago I started to only smoke on the drive to work about 4:30 pm. and on the drive home from work (8:30). (my daughter wasn't in the car by the way). So I cut back to only 2 a day. then I ran out of my pack and I haven't smoked in 12 days. I've heard that it only takes 7 days to break cigarettes and I think it's mostly true. For me, the second and third days are the hardest. I don't know if you believe in God or not, and to some people this may sound silly, but every time I would have a craving, I would pray. I just asked God to take the craving away, and it worked. Like I said, to some it may sound silly, but it really did work for me because I began to realize that I DO NOT NEED CIGARETTES. IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

IN MY OPINION (you should try this)

set yourself with a complete cut off date. like a 2 weeks from now.

Tomorrow limit yourself to 10 or so, and just cut down to 9, then 8, then 7, etc every few days until you have like 2 or 3 a day. Then start smoking only half of them (it will seem like your smoking more than you really are). then once you reach your cut off date, you should be down to smoking like a half a cig a day, JUST QUIT. Like I said the 2nd and 3rd days were hardest for me, but If you can just get through to day 7, you're home free. I don't reccomend the gum, because It's not the same as a cig, It's like a "give me something to do with my hands" type of habit. Not only that but the nicotene is just feeding your cravings not stopping them.

Keep me updated on how your doing. and every time you feel like you're at the end of your temper, (if you believe in God or a higher power) Just ask for help from that.

MunchiesMom324
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too.  :( 

I'm 2 1/2 days in, and I've slipped ONCE... that was today after my oldest son had a tantrum in the middle of Ross (any idea how embarassing a 9y/o having a tantrum is??) and we got *asked politely* to leave.

lilwhaley04
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Good job. It gets easier by the day. I quit 2 1/2 years ago.

boogan1112
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I smoked for about 5 years and tried quitting MANY times. Cold turkey didn't work. The patch did nothing. The only thing that worked for me was the gum. Eventually I had to change my whole lifestyle though. Just not smoking isn't enough, since so many things you do during the day probably involved a cig. In the end, its all in your head. You can do it! Its been 2.5 years since I've smoked and I don't even think about it anymore

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN