Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you marry your baby's father, just because you are pregnant?

Poll

Question: if it was truly better for the baby, would you marry your baby's father???

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 93

View Results

My ex boyfriend broke up with me about 2 weeks ago... he said i had to much baggage... but before that we had talked about kids and he said he would marry me if i ever got pregnant (keep in mind we were together at the time)

He still has feelings for me...

I'm finding out tomorrow at the obgyn if i am in fact pregnant... he's driving me... he doesnt know thats why i'm going... but i've decided to tell him tomorrow if i find out for sure that i am... and if he wants to get back together... i'll probably do it...

but the thing is i dont want to raise a child in a broken home... and he had said before he would want to marry me... i'm not sure what to do on that if that comes up... if its truly better for the baby...

If its truly better for the baby would you do it???

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
mandybimama
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
The only way id get married is if I truly loved the person and wanted to be with them for the rest of my life. Being married but not in love is not what's best for anybody.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Greco
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I married my son's father because I thought it was the right thing to do. It only took me 8 months to realize that I was settling and my sons father was a worthless jerk. Years later, I am married to the love of my life and happier than I have ever been in my life. My son also loves my husband and calls him dad. Do what feels right to you, not society. And never think that you NEED a husband to take care of your baby. My ex never helped out with my son. I didn't feel that I had any added responsibility when I kicked him out.
Good luck!
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Children need a happy, stable life. There is no happiness in a home where the parents hate each other but stay together for the children. Kids need positive roll models and happy parents. 

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
No. You get married because you are in love and want to spend your life with only that person!

I got married when I was pregnant, but not because I was pregnant. We were already going to get married the following summer, but his health insurance was better. So, we just moved it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
He'll no.
boogan1112
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

when i found out i was pregnant, the first thing we said was we're not getting married. if there were no child involved, we wouldn't have been ready for marriage so we weren't letting a child make the decision for us. now, almost 2 years later, we're thinking about it :)

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

"If it's truly better for the baby" is not the right way to look at it. What's truly best for a child is living in a stress-free, happy, loving environment. If marrying your ex (depending on the reasons for him being your ex) would not create a stress-free, happy, loving environment, then a split home is better than a forced one.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Quoting kngarber:

Um no. If you have too much baggage for him to love you now....a baby won't change that. I thank God every day I didn't marry my ex.

bridixon09
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

No my dds real dad and i stayed together a little over a year after she was born but all we did was fight and he didnt even show up to her first birthday party even though he knew it was going on and everything. He barely comes around anymore to see her but my dh now is a great father to her and loves her like she is his own.

Briana<3

-Kney-
by Courtney on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I put No even tho I did marry cause we had a kid together.

I put No because well its not for the right reasons. My marriage only lasted 2 yrs before he realized he made a mistake. I was all for stayin together but now Im glad we arent. Our marriage was broken way before it started.

Now I am only willing to marry for love. Me and my boyfriend just had a kid together and we dont plan to get married cause we had a kid together we both want it to be for love and the right time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)