Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you marry your baby's father, just because you are pregnant?

Poll

Question: if it was truly better for the baby, would you marry your baby's father???

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 93

View Results

My ex boyfriend broke up with me about 2 weeks ago... he said i had to much baggage... but before that we had talked about kids and he said he would marry me if i ever got pregnant (keep in mind we were together at the time)

He still has feelings for me...

I'm finding out tomorrow at the obgyn if i am in fact pregnant... he's driving me... he doesnt know thats why i'm going... but i've decided to tell him tomorrow if i find out for sure that i am... and if he wants to get back together... i'll probably do it...

but the thing is i dont want to raise a child in a broken home... and he had said before he would want to marry me... i'm not sure what to do on that if that comes up... if its truly better for the baby...

If its truly better for the baby would you do it???

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Exactly and getting married just bc you're pregnant isn't a good idea IMO

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

No. no. and HELL no. Especially if you already have "too much baggage". Wtf does that even mean? From the sounds of it you'll just end up divorced anyway. Don't do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aladynamedd
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Nope I chose not to get married, me and my baby's father decided that if we do, it would be because we love each other and not because we have a child together.

hwer
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Quoting AmyParent:

I got married pregnant....BUT we had been engaged for a year.

In your case I don't think so. Maybe get back together for a bit and see what happens?

I would be afraid of resentment towards me and the baby from dad if you rushed into marriage.

AA2.0
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

No fucking way. I'm sorry, but I find getting married ONLY because of a pregnancy to be just about the absolute top of the "stupid things I could do with my life" list.

lenoxclan
by Lenox on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously...NO do not marry someone who BROKE up with JUST because you are pregnant..He wouldn't be marrying you because he loved you or even wanted to be with you..Why the heck would you even consider that.

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Never stay together just for the kid(s). It's not healthy for them or you. I wouldn't marry someone just because I got pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

No, I wouldn't marry him. I wouldn't marry someone just because I'm pregnant, it really isn't better. You want your kids to grow up with a good example, whether it is a loving couple or strong independent single mom. You don't want them to see you unhappy, fighting and possibly ending up in divorce anyway. Really think about things and make the best decision for your happiness and the well being of your children. 

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Marriage is a bond between the two of you, not your children. If you wouldn't marry each other sans baby, then don't do it.

I was happier when my parents got divorced, there was no more arguing

MomRocs1102
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Almost did glad i backed out would have been in my top 5 worst mistakes of my life.  Now married to a wonderful man/whose a great dad.  Having a child together doesn't mean you're meant to be with that person.

pregnancy calendar
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

It isn't truly better for the baby. Too much stress in the home.

I wouldn't marry any man just because he knocked me up.

My husband and I's first child came before we had a chance to get married, but...

We had been engaged and put off the wedding until after the baby was born.We felt that it was more important to concentrate on our baby, than on a little piece of paper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)