Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Autism Diagnosis and SSI?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 14 Replies
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'm posting it here JIC someone has experience but my son was diagnosed in August with Autism. He's nonverbal and we've gone through a lot of therapy and just now enrolled him in preschool with therapy. He's 3 and one of the ladies who worked with him (he was in a therapy program that only works with diabled/delayed children until their 3 then they have to help place them in other resource therapy programs) that he'd qualify for SSI now to help pay for anything we'll need therapy or needs wise for him. BUT I looked on the social security website and it says he'll only qualify if he's 7 or older so now I'm confused. We had a meeting with his teacher today and there are "extra" needed items that she's asking for (extra diapers since he isnt potty trained yet and that isn't for lack of trying we just cant get him to, weekly snacks, tissues, ziplock bags etc) and we still haven't gone to this Autism Recovery center here to see what help he may be able to recieve. I've looked on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lolaunscripted
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Other boards and there have been moms who got their child approved at an age younger than 7. Should I try? Or wait? Oh and he's in school under an IEP would that help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassidysmom611
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I am pretty sure he will qualify. My DD is autistic as well, we are starting the SSI process soon too. Let me know if you ever want to talk.

Lolaunscripted
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
He's also nonverbal and severely delayed in communication and social development.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinekay
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Yes an iep will help. My son is 4 and got approved. I reccomend getting copies of his iep, doctor diagnoses, lettelr from the preschool and teachers and therapist. A letter from his school stating the extra expenses. Its better to have way more information than you think u will need because that will expedite the process as well having enough " evidence" to help cut down on all the testing they will do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lolaunscripted
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Can I add you? I tried joining The Spectrum group but they aren't mobile yet so I have no one to relate to.

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

I am pretty sure he will qualify. My DD is autistic as well, we are starting the SSI process soon too. Let me know if you ever want to talk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandyj573
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Agreed! The more documentation, the better!  I also saw that you mentioned the need for diapers, you might apply for Medicaid for the disabled if you haven't already. They cover diapers after the so called normal age of diapering until 18. For my SD we had to do ABA to get her potty trained.

Quoting sunshinekay:

Yes an iep will help. My son is 4 and got approved. I reccomend getting copies of his iep, doctor diagnoses, lettelr from the preschool and teachers and therapist. A letter from his school stating the extra expenses. Its better to have way more information than you think u will need because that will expedite the process as well having enough " evidence" to help cut down on all the testing they will do

kaiser10123
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I have SSI for my son who is 3 he was diagnosed at 2 they'll interview you(after you set one up of course) and they'll tell you it will take months. They need his diagnose papers and if he attends school your pay stubs and other personal info. I applied in January was approved in Feb this is not the case for everyone my case worker even said it was fast. I receive $710 for my son, need any other info feel free to PM me.
Lolaunscripted
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Ok thank you, I got a bunch of paper work today from the meeting and have more paper work from his time in Birth to Three and his diagnosis report. So I've kept all his paper work and I believe I have copies from the BOE of all his enrollment including where it states IEP.

Quoting sunshinekay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I know a kid who was diagnosed not too long ago and gets ssi. Hes 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mithsue
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
My son got approved for ssi. At 3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)