Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

HPV, cervical cancer, and pregnancy

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM
  • 19 Replies
oday we found out the sex of our baby. We're having a little girl. But today we also found out I tested positive for HPV. My doctor says my papsmear came back with abnormalities and that they need to take tissue from my cervix and test it for cancer. She really didn't tell me much other then that. Has anyone else been through this? What happens if I do have cervical cancer? Would I be able to keep the baby? My doctor pretty much refused to answer questions until they know more. So I'm kind of freaking out over here. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Peaches.
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of taking tissue from your cervix while you're pregnant. Most doctors wait until afterwards to do it.

I tested pos for HPV at the beginning of my first pregnancy and had abnormal cells, but my OB told me that they would wait until after I had my baby, then retest, because sometimes the situation resolves itself after you give birth. In my case, it did. I haven't had an irregular pap in almost 7 years.

The only thing I can suggest is to maybe seek a second opinion, because a cervical sample when you're pregnant is kinda invasive, because of the miscarriage risk that it carries.

AA2.0
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I would get a second opinion. I tested positive for HPV and had abnormal cells after a pap at the health unit. When I followed up with my regular gyno, no HPV and no abnormal cells. I think the pap by the health unit was done too soon after my period. I've heard you can get an abnormal pap result from that. I wouldn't want them doing a cervical sample during pregnancy. Do some research about it online and maybe call a nurse's hotline? I'm not sure. Sorry I'm not much help. :(

polkaspots
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Same thing happened to me, it's called a biopsy. Your baby is nowhere near your cervix, and therefore in no danger. The bleeding is minimal and only lasts a few hours. Spotting like the tail end of a period. The process only takes 15seconds. Finding out whether you have cancer or not is extremely important. I didn't have cancer, but I had cervical cells that were developing cancer. They were shed during childbirth. If you don't find out now, you'll have to wait until you heal after the baby is born. That's a long time to not know.
kels1023
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Im just worried about the baby. If I do have cancer is it safe to continue my pregnancy? And if it's just HPV does it effect the baby at all? My doctor was no help at all :(

Quoting polkaspots:

Same thing happened to me, it's called a biopsy. Your baby is nowhere near your cervix, and therefore in no danger. The bleeding is minimal and only lasts a few hours. Spotting like the tail end of a period. The process only takes 15seconds. Finding out whether you have cancer or not is extremely important. I didn't have cancer, but I had cervical cells that were developing cancer. They were shed during childbirth. If you don't find out now, you'll have to wait until you heal after the baby is born. That's a long time to not know.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Hpv doesn't affect the baby, and you would have to be in the last stages of cancer for it to be dangerous to be pregnant. You would already be very sick. Pap smears are early detectors of cervical cancer. If you do have cervical cancer, your doctor will most likely wait until you have your six week check up and look again, then talk about removing the cancerous cells if they're still there.
Singlemom325
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Well, your doctor is an idiot! Im sorry but it is true in this fact. Get a second oppinion on getting tissue from your cervix while being pregnant. I had Hpv while i was pregnant, and it sucks i will admit that. BUT, if you are in no danger now then i would wait until the baby is born. And after the baby is born they will  remove any abnormal cells and thats when you worry. I am however going to tell you that ANY pokeing or proding like that to your cervix (HOLDS BABY IN WHEN ITS BIGGER, to those who think its not near the baby) Does have a risk of you delivering early. Dont stress it too much, call for another opinion

Unoriginal.
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:47 AM

You doctor sohuld always answer your questions :(

Good luck moma

VictoriousTory
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I had that happen.... its a normal test. Most of the time they will test you twice again and if the pap smears keep coming back abnormal they will do what they call a LEEP. Basically its a biopsy... but they remove a moon shape part of your cervix, the part with the abnormal A cells. They of course wouldn't do ANY of this until after you have the baby so I wouldn't worry about that. This is all pretty normal stuff, I have known a lot of chicks who have had it done, and I have had one. MY experience wasn't so pleasant, I dont want to scare you because what happened was so rare it wont happen to you... but most of the time they get rid of all the bad cells and it really doesn't take but a day or two to heal. 

jacobsmom0110
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I tested positive also during my pregnancy. They did the colposcopy (thats when they take the sample of tissue) and everything came back ok they said it may have just been because I was pregnant and it was my first time so everything was changing. After I had my son I had to go every six months for a pap and now that they have been coming back normal I just go for my regular yearly. Do start freaking out now. I freaked out too and was going crazy thinking that I had cancer because my dr wasnt answering ant of my questions either. But in the end everything was just fine.

heathermarie23
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I've had it (colposcopy) done 3 times, two of which were during pregnancy.  They just take a biopsy of the cells on your cervix.  It doesn't hurt or anything.  If you have cervical cancer you would probably have to see an Oncologist.  I wouldn't be going back to that Dr though, I like my questions answered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN