Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

baby, school, work.. HOW?!?!?!

Im a single mom at 23 years old.  Anthony's father doesn't help nor see himm  How do you moms do it? school work and the baby?? I need advice and some self confidence because im terrified of the coming months! In feb, I start my CNA2 class whcih is only 2 weeks.  However when im licenced i will be working 3 12's a week at different hospitals.  Plus i signe up for school this coming summer.  I know the only way to better Anthoy's life is through schooling for me. however, im not sure how to juggle it all!? advice?!

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
proudmama11212
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I have my family and friends that help me its hard but doable!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_hall1784
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

If you have a set shedule at work, then schedule the classes for school during your off days and while baby is at daycare. It isn't easy, but it's doable. 

ragitty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I am juggling baby and school and some part time work, but I have a husband who takes a lot of the pressure off of me. My friend, however is doing what you are doing. She is fortunate enough that her mom lets her and her son live with her so she is living rent free. Her son goes to the same on-campus daycare as mine does, and they have a lot of financial scholarships and grants because the daycare was created with students in mind (that being said, it is not a cheap daycare, but it is a very good one). She has had to take a lot of student loans out to alleviate some of the stress and she works whenever she has the time for it. Her son's father lives a ways away so he is not a huge help physically, except I think he does pay child support. It seems to be working for her. Her son is 4 and she is graduating this year (she took an extra year), but she has decided to go to law school next year. It is possible! But it takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. You can do it as long as you have the willpower, which it seems like you do.

ikesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Plan, plan, plan! Babies are tough as it is, adding school and work to the mix is even harder. I was a single mom when my son was born, but it had to be done. I am now married, I work 40+ hours as a paralegal, I have a almost 8-year old, I have a bun in the oven, and I am in the last semester of my second degree. It is still tough, but I do all I can to make sure my son has it all; that's our job as a mommy.

Hopefully, you meet someone wonderful down the line that can lighten the burden, or your son's father comes around. But until then, prepare to be tired and busy. You can do it!

2teens2LOs
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

you  are young and have energy to conquer all at this age! straighten up any doubts in your head, that is only fear! block it out- get your game plan on and go do it girl!

dont look back... one day when your baby grows up you will be his role model!

MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Let things go that aren't important.  No one died from not getting the dishes done or wearing laundry from a basket on the floor.  I also enlist my crockpot +liners for every meal including breakfast (oatmeal overnight is fantastic).  I would say focus 100 % on child and bettering yourself and let the other little stuff go.  Taking care of yourself and eating well will also give you more energy, so don't get so stressed you're hawking down burger king because it will only wear you down more.

anthonysmom1012
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Thank you everyone! It helps knowing your not alone. The encouragement is amazing.  Thank you again ladies!! 

Bwebb
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You can do it!! I am in a master's program I work full time and run a business on the side. I am married, but my husband works long hours so i am home alone with my two kids most nights.  I am exhausted all the time, and some things just don't ever get done (house cleaning, laundry,etc) and there are definitely days that I wonder if I am even doing the right thing being in school and running this business. But then I think of the end game, and how this part is hard, but the future will be better for it, and I am revived! It's tough, but I am pretty proud of myself most of the time, and that's a good feeling! Try to think positively, and snuggle your baby at every opportunity! Don't be afraid to ask for help, people are often more willing than you think! You'll get through this rough part!!

Baby4us09
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM

One  day at a time. Make sure you get plenty of rest and eat healthy to keep up with the demands ahead. GL to you.

Good for you for bettering your life !! :)

jjchick75
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I was a single mom when I was your age. My husband died shortly after we found out I was pregnant. I was 21, no schooling, very little work experience, and hundreds of miles from home. I worked my tail end off because my daughter deserved it. I was lucky to have an employer who worked around my class schedule. There was one semester my classes were during the day. So I went to school during the day and worked evenings. There were a couple of semesters I worked during the day and went to school of an evening. I'm not going to lie it sucks. I felt like I missed out on everything my daughter did and rarely saw her. But she deserved a mother who could take care of her and make sure she had what she needed. If you put your mind to it, you can do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)