Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

baby, school, work.. HOW?!?!?!

Im a single mom at 23 years old.  Anthony's father doesn't help nor see himm  How do you moms do it? school work and the baby?? I need advice and some self confidence because im terrified of the coming months! In feb, I start my CNA2 class whcih is only 2 weeks.  However when im licenced i will be working 3 12's a week at different hospitals.  Plus i signe up for school this coming summer.  I know the only way to better Anthoy's life is through schooling for me. however, im not sure how to juggle it all!? advice?!

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I manage but I'm married. DH and I both work and are Juniors in college both full-time. I've worked as a CNA for 6 years. We have also been able to alternate our schedules to keep our DS home until now. This semester will be the first time putting our 21 month old in childcare but it's a must for us to graduate on time. My little sister does it as a single parent but her babies daddy takes care of his son as he should. She got her cosmotology license and makes good money doing it and decided to continue her education to get a business degree. If I'm not mistaken she takes fewer credit hours.

Do as much as you can online. I did three semesters online. You have to work to support yourself. Find childcare or family you can trust to care for your little one. I had many late nights and early mornings with homework and many many sleep deprived nights. Take what you can manage. I did 12 hours. You might want to consider that or fewer credit hours. It can be done but it takes dedication and hard work.

pmsforlife
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I'm a mom of 3 and student and dad is always gone working! Grow some balls and just do it
LauraMH
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You can do it honey! Just stay focused, I'm a single mom, have 2 kids, work full time and have been in school part time for 2 years. And I still have about 6 more to go! Lean on any family and friends you have for support, remind yourself daily that it is only temporary and you are making a better life for you and you child! Good for you.

P.S. My son's Anthony too, great name choice!

IQuitCounting
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Sorry, I'm not a single mother so I don't have any advice from expereince, but I wanted to offer a hand of support!

Devious333
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I did it with ds, though I didn't finish because we moved. It's been almost 2 years (doesn't feel like it...) since I was in school (I had been going for 5 years, this was a nice break lol). I am about to go back...I can finish my degree online but now I've got 2 kiddos...I'm not sure how I'll do it. Help from dh's family, while they are sleeping and playing. I had some late nights when I was in school...bedtime at 2-3 am. It's very stressful but you can do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs_mckay
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I did it. Went back to school as a single working mom to an 18 month old and am now doing it again as a married, working mom to 5 yr old and a 4 month old.

One word....coffee.

prenatalRN
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I have a friend who is also a single mom who works 12 hour shift as an RN. She works nights and has a family member take baby at night. It is easier child care for her family as baby is sleeping all night long anyways. In the AM after her shift is up her family member drops her daughter off at daycare and she goes home to sleep after her shift. Then she picks up her daughter at day care and gets the rest of the day with her. It minimizes the cost of her day care and keeps her baby with family more. A schedule like that might help you out

chercaruso
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It's hard, but it's worth it.  I was a single mom on public assistance around your age with TWO kids, worked a full time job, and went to school.  I graduated with a Bachelors in English Literature and Business Management and here I am 14 years later a director at my company with a six figure income.  NEVER give up, get some family and friends to help as much as possible, and know that it will all be worth it in the end.  PLUS, think of the example you are setting for your kids!  My kids know my struggles and know how hard I worked and sacraficed for them.  You can do it.

anthonysmom1012
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Sorry, I'm not a single mother so I don't have any advice from expereince, but I wanted to offer a hand of support!

love it! thank you =]

Megan11587
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Dedication, family member help and lots of coffee.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN