Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Not getting the flu vax

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a fan of flu shots and had zero intention of getting one until sil decided no one is allowed to see her baby (due in a few weeks and there is no reason to believe he is not perfectly healthy) unless they have one. We started looking into it, and dh and I still didn't want them but I really want to see my nephew before we move away, so the plan was for ds and me to get them (dh still refused). We went to get them today and discovered they do not have the vax for ds's age group (3yo). I called his pediatrician and they are out of flu shots for him as well. I decided if it's that scarce ds does not need it and I will leave them for the people who do. I am no longer getting them either as I do not plan on going by myself to see the baby because I don't think I could stand that much 1-on-1 time with sil and it is not exactly convenient to visit them.

Anyway, dh's brother was also not wanting to get the shot either. Sil is going crazy on him and yesterday sent him a text on the flu epidemic and told him to "educate himself" on matters he knows nothing of himself and he is "ignorant."

Does anyone have any links for us to send her so she can stfu about this? It was her decision to say people without the flu vax can't see the baby, but it is OUR decision whether or not to get the shot. 

Side note: she is not even a first-time mom. This is just her first winter baby.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
liss510
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

has anyone noticed that every year more and more ppl get the flu shot but yet every year more and more ppl are getting the flu? I refuse to get the flu shot and believe if everyone would stop getting it maybe this flu that gets worse every year might have less victems... she need to educate herself www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/

liss510
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM

there is a ton of links for why not to get the flu shot at the bottem of the page also a funny video

MommyandBecca
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
After getting the shot you can't go around the baby for a couple weeks anyways you become contagious and can actually give the flu to the baby so it's better that no one gets the shot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

thank you!!

Quoting liss510:

has anyone noticed that every year more and more ppl get the flu shot but yet every year more and more ppl are getting the flu? I refuse to get the flu shot and believe if everyone would stop getting it maybe this flu that gets worse every year might have less victems... she need to educate herself www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/

sissy852
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM
i am not getting a flu shot either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Stefanie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I have no links but my kids and I have never gotten it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I have gotten it once in my entire life because I was pregnant with ds and swine flu was huge and people scared me into it because they kept talking about deaths of babies in utero due to swine flu and my dr said that was the only way to immunize him--if I got the vaccine while pregnant. I know now that bfing him was more than enough to give him immunizations (which is what I did) and plus I was exposed to swine flu for extended periods of time 3 times before I even got the vaccine and I never got sick. I have a great immune system and have never in my life had the flu. I don't see the point in healthy people getting a flu vaccine.

Quoting steffielou_who:

I have no links but my kids and I have never gotten it!

ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Haha she won't listen to common sense unless the person has MD after their name and they're giving her the worst-case-scenarios. We weren't allowed around her 1st born for 4 months because ds was under the age of 5 and she would kill herself if she let her baby get sick after the dr said avoid young children. 

Quoting MommyandBecca:

After getting the shot you can't go around the baby for a couple weeks anyways you become contagious and can actually give the flu to the baby so it's better that no one gets the shot

SpiderTresses
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM
We don't get it either. They can never tell what type of flu is going to outbreak and my boyfriend works for a healthcare insurance provider and he has yet to get a call about someone getting the flu who has not been vaccinated but 75% of his calls lately have been about people having the flu who got the vaccination.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I don't have a link but the one and only time i got a flu shot was the ONLY time I've ever had the flu, so my family will not be getting them.  It sounds like your husband doesn't care to see the baby and you don't like her anyway, (maybe I misinterpreted, sorry if so) I'd say just make a new mom friend wherever you're moving and get you baby fix that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)