Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Not getting the flu vax

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a fan of flu shots and had zero intention of getting one until sil decided no one is allowed to see her baby (due in a few weeks and there is no reason to believe he is not perfectly healthy) unless they have one. We started looking into it, and dh and I still didn't want them but I really want to see my nephew before we move away, so the plan was for ds and me to get them (dh still refused). We went to get them today and discovered they do not have the vax for ds's age group (3yo). I called his pediatrician and they are out of flu shots for him as well. I decided if it's that scarce ds does not need it and I will leave them for the people who do. I am no longer getting them either as I do not plan on going by myself to see the baby because I don't think I could stand that much 1-on-1 time with sil and it is not exactly convenient to visit them.

Anyway, dh's brother was also not wanting to get the shot either. Sil is going crazy on him and yesterday sent him a text on the flu epidemic and told him to "educate himself" on matters he knows nothing of himself and he is "ignorant."

Does anyone have any links for us to send her so she can stfu about this? It was her decision to say people without the flu vax can't see the baby, but it is OUR decision whether or not to get the shot. 

Side note: she is not even a first-time mom. This is just her first winter baby.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Id bemore concerned about the ingredients IN the vaccine..

Tell her to breastfeed, have ppl practice good hand washing, and not be so crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I like her, but she is kind of a type-A and can get on my nerves very easily. She just a bit controlling and I did not grow up around anyone like that so a lot of my venting/frustrations come out on CM. <aybe some day I will get to the point where dh is because he has lived with her his whole life and does not care about appeasing her/spending time with her/etc in the slightest. He will do what he wants to do and he does not care what she thinks about it. When she called to say we had to get flu shots to see the baby he hung up and said oh well, I'm not getting a shot. I was in limbo for days and driving myself nuts over it. I am kind of relieved there is such a shortage for ds's age group because it took the decision away from me.

Quoting emilyelephant:

I don't have a link but the one and only time i got a flu shot was the ONLY time I've ever had the flu, so my family will not be getting them.  It sounds like your husband doesn't care to see the baby and you don't like her anyway, (maybe I misinterpreted, sorry if so) I'd say just make a new mom friend wherever you're moving and get you baby fix that way.

ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

She ebfs. You would think someone so pro-bfing would be a little more educated about all of its benefits.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Id bemore concerned about the ingredients IN the vaccine..

Tell her to breastfeed, have ppl practice good hand washing, and not be so crazy.

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I understand!  Just remember you need to do what you think is best for your family, and stick up for that. I definitely know it's easier said than done, I'm stuggling with it with my boyfriend's mom...and it's soo hard.  Good luck!

Quoting ragitty:

I like her, but she is kind of a type-A and can get on my nerves very easily. She just a bit controlling and I did not grow up around anyone like that so a lot of my venting/frustrations come out on CM.

Quoting emilyelephant:

I don't have a link but the one and only time i got a flu shot was the ONLY time I've ever had the flu, so my family will not be getting them.  It sounds like your husband doesn't care to see the baby and you don't like her anyway, (maybe I misinterpreted, sorry if so) I'd say just make a new mom friend wherever you're moving and get you baby fix that way.

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

ive never had a flu vax and neither has DH.....nor my kids. DS was born in feb, and.....i did get sick in early jan of 2011, it wasnt the flu, but it was a really nasty cold. and im pregnant not and got hit with a really nasty cold 3x in a row it seemed. this baby is due any day now and my only rule is if you are sick, have been sick within 5 days or have been around someone who is sick within the past week, do not come over.

AA2.0
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I don't get the shot and neither does DD. I have never gotten the shot. The one time my mother got the shot was the one time she got the flu. We are a non-flu-vaxing family. SO gets it only because his job requires it.

I agree with the other ladies here, from what I understand the strain causing the epidemic is not in the flu shot, so getting it will not prevent the epidemic from reaching her or her baby. She can make whatever demands she wants, however she can't force people to get vaccinated.

I watched something similar to this with a friend of mine regarding the whooping cough vaccine. She was bringing her baby to Thanksgiving and decided no one could hold him who wasn't vaccinated for whooping cough. Two weeks before she made a big post on FB about it and everything. I think sometimes people go a bit overboard, but that is their right since it's their child(ren).

HisMommy4Ever
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM

To hell with that shot...I got it a couple months ago and it made sick as hell. I got once for my son once and he got sick as well. I don't get what's the point of it....everytime I get it, I always get sick :(

heartagram_girl
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Everyone is telling me to get the flu shot as well, but I dont plan on it. Even my doc has fussed at me for it. But I dont normally get the flu shot- and it has been 6 years since I had the flu. DH already said he wasnt getting the vac- he has a very healthy immune system (which is true- he rarely gets sick at all). I dont see the point- every year you hear that the strand everyone is passing around is not included in the vac. Besides, when you get the shot, all you do is make the flu stronger and more resilient, IMO.

CafeMom Tickers
MaturingMommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
It's up to you guys. Your right it's your choice. My son is 3 and last August I took him to bet vaccinated because we are selective vax and I was 19 at the time and when I told them we weren't going to vaccinate for chicken pox or flu she looked at me and told me it was stupid not to vaccinate absent and got a counselor who told me I was just uneducated on vaccines and didn't understand what was best for my son. I left and never came back and I don't tolerate anyone telling me I'm doing wrong with my child. I'm sorry your having this problem with her though and as one the first replies said have her breastfeed. It doesn't prevent sickness but my son has only been sick 3 times in his life and twice it was bronchitis . He never gets sick and he nurses for 3 years. And he has never had some of the major vaccines they say you need.
ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

This is a reasonable rule. Ds was born in December 10 days before Christmas with my whole family on my dad's side (around 50 people) coming over to stay with us and dh's family in town, too, with swine flu in full swing. My thing was if you are sick/have been recently no holding the baby. He never got so much as a cold until he started daycare at 9 months old.

Quoting ilovecandy:

ive never had a flu vax and neither has DH.....nor my kids. DS was born in feb, and.....i did get sick in early jan of 2011, it wasnt the flu, but it was a really nasty cold. and im pregnant not and got hit with a really nasty cold 3x in a row it seemed. this baby is due any day now and my only rule is if you are sick, have been sick within 5 days or have been around someone who is sick within the past week, do not come over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN