Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Not getting the flu vax

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a fan of flu shots and had zero intention of getting one until sil decided no one is allowed to see her baby (due in a few weeks and there is no reason to believe he is not perfectly healthy) unless they have one. We started looking into it, and dh and I still didn't want them but I really want to see my nephew before we move away, so the plan was for ds and me to get them (dh still refused). We went to get them today and discovered they do not have the vax for ds's age group (3yo). I called his pediatrician and they are out of flu shots for him as well. I decided if it's that scarce ds does not need it and I will leave them for the people who do. I am no longer getting them either as I do not plan on going by myself to see the baby because I don't think I could stand that much 1-on-1 time with sil and it is not exactly convenient to visit them.

Anyway, dh's brother was also not wanting to get the shot either. Sil is going crazy on him and yesterday sent him a text on the flu epidemic and told him to "educate himself" on matters he knows nothing of himself and he is "ignorant."

Does anyone have any links for us to send her so she can stfu about this? It was her decision to say people without the flu vax can't see the baby, but it is OUR decision whether or not to get the shot. 

Side note: she is not even a first-time mom. This is just her first winter baby.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I don't think you make it stronger by vaxing, but in their very nature viruses are constantly mutating and changing so even when they get the right strand it is never completely accurate and it still doesn't prevent the flu, just sensitizes you to it. I have a fantastic immune system. Colds last only a couple of days for me, I have had strep once in my life and the dr said it was probably because I was bfing (so my body took care of ds first) and because it was finals week so my immune system was down. I tend to get an ear infection a year, which has nothing to do with my immune system, and I will typically get one bad cold a year, which only lasts for a few days. Since ds got his ear tubes he will get colds that last a few days (due to being at daycare) but that's it. Dh gets sinus infections but that's it for him, too. We are all very healthy so I see no point in weakening our bodies to sensitize them to a virus that may or may not be right when our bodies should be able to handle it on their own, anyway

Quoting heartagram_girl:

Everyone is telling me to get the flu shot as well, but I dont plan on it. Even my doc has fussed at me for it. But I dont normally get the flu shot- and it has been 6 years since I had the flu. DH already said he wasnt getting the vac- he has a very healthy immune system (which is true- he rarely gets sick at all). I dont see the point- every year you hear that the strand everyone is passing around is not included in the vac. Besides, when you get the shot, all you do is make the flu stronger and more resilient, IMO.

ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I can understand whooping cough a little bit more because of how dangerous it is for children, no matter how healthy they are otherwise. I live in a college town and the vaccines from the early 90s have worn out by now so there are a lot of college students getting it. I haven't gotten my booster for it but I probably will before my next baby comes. One problem with whooping cough is adults could have it without really knowing it, but it's pretty obvious when you have the flu. As long as people are nice and healthy and haven't been sick for a few days, though, I don't see why there should be restrictions on them visiting (if there's been a recent whooping cough outbreak I might minimize visitors but I wouldn't require shot records and whatnot)

Quoting AA2.0:

I don't get the shot and neither does DD. I have never gotten the shot. The one time my mother got the shot was the one time she got the flu. We are a non-flu-vaxing family. SO gets it only because his job requires it.

I agree with the other ladies here, from what I understand the strain causing the epidemic is not in the flu shot, so getting it will not prevent the epidemic from reaching her or her baby. She can make whatever demands she wants, however she can't force people to get vaccinated.

I watched something similar to this with a friend of mine regarding the whooping cough vaccine. She was bringing her baby to Thanksgiving and decided no one could hold him who wasn't vaccinated for whooping cough. Two weeks before she made a big post on FB about it and everything. I think sometimes people go a bit overboard, but that is their right since it's their child(ren).

lilbit53009
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

we don't get them either. the only time i've ever gotten one was when i was pregnant because it was the year the swine flu came out.

but today my state declared it a public health emergency so now i'm a little scared and wondering if i should get my 3yo a shot just to be safe. i made him an appointment for tuesday...but i'll make up my mind before then whether he needs it or not

ragitty
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Same as far as swine flu and pregnant. Idk if my state is in a public health emergency just yet but I was going to get ds3 a vax so we could see my nephew but they were out of his age group's flu shot. I called our other local pharms and his ped and they are all out so I decided even if I find one for him by chance, I am not getting him one because he is healthy and we will leave it for those who aren't/those who actually want it. Plus, one of the strains going around isn't even covered by the shot

Quoting lilbit53009:

we don't get them either. the only time i've ever gotten one was when i was pregnant because it was the year the swine flu came out.

but today my state declared it a public health emergency so now i'm a little scared and wondering if i should get my 3yo a shot just to be safe. i made him an appointment for tuesday...but i'll make up my mind before then whether he needs it or not

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I wouldn't compromise on that one, I'd just forgo seeing the baby, unfortunately.

We don't do flu shots at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The flu shot this year is actually right on. I've heard it's just rumors that it's not the right strain. It's a good match this year. Even with the shot, there's a chance of getting the flu, as with most any vaccination.

As for the sister in law, I'd tell her to get over herself and when she does, I'll be there to see her baby. It's your choice to vaccinate yourself and kids, not hers.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I wouldn't compromise on that one, I'd just forgo seeing the baby, unfortunately.

We don't do flu shots at all.
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

she sounds like a whackadoo!

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM
If just get the flu shot. We ALL know how crazy pregnancy can make us, and if it puts her mind at ease to get a shot, I'd do it. All of us got one in August.
mommyof2andTTC
by Alicia on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I hate them... refuse them for myself... my daughter and husband have to get them though because they have HORRIBLE asthma and could get pneumonia if they get the flu... but I have never had the flu till I got the shot once when I was pregnant with my daughter... I have never gotten it afterwards either... your body,, your choice

Mommy of 2 girls & TTC #3 twin girls & baby dust

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)