Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Not getting the flu vax

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a fan of flu shots and had zero intention of getting one until sil decided no one is allowed to see her baby (due in a few weeks and there is no reason to believe he is not perfectly healthy) unless they have one. We started looking into it, and dh and I still didn't want them but I really want to see my nephew before we move away, so the plan was for ds and me to get them (dh still refused). We went to get them today and discovered they do not have the vax for ds's age group (3yo). I called his pediatrician and they are out of flu shots for him as well. I decided if it's that scarce ds does not need it and I will leave them for the people who do. I am no longer getting them either as I do not plan on going by myself to see the baby because I don't think I could stand that much 1-on-1 time with sil and it is not exactly convenient to visit them.

Anyway, dh's brother was also not wanting to get the shot either. Sil is going crazy on him and yesterday sent him a text on the flu epidemic and told him to "educate himself" on matters he knows nothing of himself and he is "ignorant."

Does anyone have any links for us to send her so she can stfu about this? It was her decision to say people without the flu vax can't see the baby, but it is OUR decision whether or not to get the shot. 

Side note: she is not even a first-time mom. This is just her first winter baby.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (41-41):
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I made the same rule, that no one can hold my baby, touch him or be up in his face without the flu shot and an updated TDAP this year, but I didn't press the issue.  I told them my rule and if they got it, great.  If not, that's their decision and I was fine with it, they just couldn't see the baby.  I honestly wouldn't blame them though.  She needs to just calm down, she can't FORCE anyone to get something they don't want!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN