Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Busted ear drum?! Help??

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

So DD2 and I both went to the doctor yesterday. Among the many things wrong with DD she has fluid behind her ears. And so do I. Last night I was crying I was in sooooooooo much pain and my ear drum busted (something popped and blood started running out of my ear google said busted ear drum). I read the infection was the most likely cause of it since there was no trauma to it. 

Is there anyway I can prevent DD from going through this? She's on antibiotics already, and the only thing I did differently for myself that I didn't do for her is lay my head on a heating pad which she isn't old enough for (6 months). I don't know if that caused it or what, but I do not want my baby hurting like I was. Any help would be appreciated.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by Morgan on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM
You need to go back to the doctor.

There is nothing more you can do for dd but keep her comfortable.

Also she is so young for antibiotics you know they don't need them for every ear infection right? I am not bashing-doctors just like to push them onto people, and people don't realize they don't need them or the risks of them.

Feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Eat infections are one of the few things I will get antibiotics for for myself or the kids. I've never had one go away on its own and I have had my eardrum burst a couple of times as a child. It hurts terribly. I'd give her Tylenol of she seems to be in pain and continue the antibiotics. You may need some for yourself as well. Not much else you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Keep giving her, her antibotics and it should help. You can also try some natural remedies, too.

jenaree
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I am just recovering from a burst eardrum, unfortunately it happens to me almost every year. I have a genetic problem with my eustachian tubes in my ear that has led to lifetime ear problems. I have started taking Flonase to keep everything open and it has been amazing. All you can do is try to prevent pressure from the infection from building up behind the ear drum. Antibiotics to kill the infection and try to keep it draining I guess.  Doing things like sleeping on an incline or keeping that ear up while sleeping on your side is what I tried. Mine burst at night and the pressure relief was great though I had hearing issues for about 2 weeks afterwards. Good luck!

gabeybaby07
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Nothing really to prevent it. If the infection wants to pop it, it will. I had an ear infection and an abscess in my ear that popped my drum. I couldnt hear out of that ear for 2 weeks. I would take her back to the dr. and see if he an prescribe some numbing ear drops for her and you. It doesnt prevent the drum from popping but it will numb the ear and make the infection less painfull. Good luck and feel better!

KanPsMommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I was in bed asleep and I heard the pop and felt fluid coming out. I thought the fluid behind my ear drum had finally decided to drain. But it was blood and my ear felt so much better as well but I can not hear out of it as of now.

Quoting jenaree:

I am just recovering from a burst eardrum, unfortunately it happens to me almost every year. I have a genetic problem with my eustachian tubes in my ear that has led to lifetime ear problems. I have started taking Flonase to keep everything open and it has been amazing. All you can do is try to prevent pressure from the infection from building up behind the ear drum. Antibiotics to kill the infection and try to keep it draining I guess.  Doing things like sleeping on an incline or keeping that ear up while sleeping on your side is what I tried. Mine burst at night and the pressure relief was great though I had hearing issues for about 2 weeks afterwards. Good luck!

And both DD and I are on antibiotics already. She has pink eye in both eyes, fluid behind her ears, bacterial infection that is causing her WBC to be in the 15k, and she some how has become anemic and lost over a pound in under 3 days.

victoriangavin
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Put camphopheniqhue in the hurting ear and lay on the side so it drains into the ear.. Put a cotton ball into the ear.. For pink eye make tea on the stove and put a wash cloth in the pot.. Pour the tea with the tea bags into a bowl and put it in the fridge.. Lay down with the wash cloth over the eyes multiple times a day until it's cleared up, usually a day or two. These home remedies work wonders
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armmommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

There is nothing to do to prevent it. Of course taking antibiotics will hopefully help but not necessarily. My husband had both of his pop 5 days before my last c section. He couldn't drive or talk or open his eyes. He was in so much pain so I drove, with our 2 and 3 year old, to the er. He was practically crying he was in so much pain. When we got the the ER his ear was leaking blood and they acted like it was no big deal. We have never dealt with this so we were both freaking out.

WorkingMom825
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor?

KanPsMommy
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I already see one. Delivering DD caused my pelvic bone to separate. Do you mean DD seeing one?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)