Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Really? No wonder I dislike my child's school

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 1 Replies
PLEASE READ:
I am a mother of 2 children that go to ******* City Elementary School in ****** City, KY. On Monday, January 7th, a 5th grade boy threatened to "gut" one child and then threatened to kill... several others (My son was one of the students threatened). This happened during school hours. The principal of the school, Mrs. O'N***, was told of the incident by students that were threatened. She never notified the proper authorities(Police). The police found out by concerned parents and not the school system. The principal told the authorities that it had been taken care of and she didn't have to notify them. Also, she never bothered to notify ANY of the parents. My son had been told by his teacher that the boy doing the threatening had been expelled. However, this child was NOT expelled. He was back at school today. He was suspended for 2 days and now has "in-school detention". That boy was in the gym this morning along with ALL the other students before classes began. I do not feel that proper precautions have been made to protect not only my 2 kids but the rest of the school. That boy should have been expelled the moment it happened and the police should have been notified. The parents of the children threatened should have also been notified. Where is the justice?

Above is copied and pasted from a parents post on the school's Facebook page, also posted to local news Facebook page and the mayor's. My son attends this school in second grade. (I starred out the city , school and principals name myself upon posting this) my husband thinks we worrying about nothing. Would you ladies be worried too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I would be concerned, I won't lie, especially given the recent shootings at several elementary schools. However, I don't think the child should have been expelled. I do think the police should have been contacted and the parents notified but I also think that, instead of expelling him, the child should be seen by a psychiatrist for a psychological evaluation.

Especially if this is a first offense, I would seek help for the child first. If this is a reoccuring problem and the child has been evaluated and everything, then I think expelling would be appropriate. Further steps to get this child help should also be taken, though I'm not sure on what's availible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)