Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do u know anybody u consider a "hippie"?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
Several members of my family and BFs family and friends have made comments to me about me being a hippie. I am very laid back but not sure what characteristics make people think that. What characteristics do u associate with "hippie" and do u consider them good or bad? I know this is kind of a dumb post but opinions please:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLioness2012
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I am laid back but many don't consider me a hippie. The few I know I would consider "hippie" don't shower often, constantly smell of patchouli, don't shave, they are vegetarians and one or two of them made their own shoes (very simple sandles they wear all year, think of old style roman shoes where it's just a thin flat sole tied to your foot).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I've been called a hippie a few times. Don't know why...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MasterGagesMom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I live in nor cal, about 45 minutes north of san fran...land of the hippies. And hippies are definitely their own unique breed. Politics and lifestyle are main defining characteristics, but they have a distinctive way of dressing too. In these parts they tend to be liberal, pot smoking people who listen to reggae & dont eat meat. They also shy away from products that increase their carbon foot print...everything they use is "organic" or "all natural"...green living is almost a religion to our local hippies. Many ride bikes or drive cars powered by biodeisel. And we have a couple of biodeisel stations around here. &FTR hippies arent laid back by their very nature, some of the most high strung people I know are hippies. People THINK theyre laid back cause I guess thry think hippies are constantly stoned, which some are...but not all. So no, being laid back doesnt make u a hippie....if your fam wants to see hippies...ill take them to sebastapol or the haight Ashberry.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I'm from Asheville, so we have lots and lots of "hippies" ...I don't know why anyone would consider them "bad" though.  Being a hippie doesn't mean you have dreads, don't take bathes and like to do LSD .  They are usually just non-conformist people.  Generally happy, peaceful people who aren't worried about others.  Generally are vegetarians or eat organically, cloth diaper, drive hybrids, recycle, self sufficient, love people, love nature, etc.  But just being laid back wouldn't really made you a hippie.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My neighbor is, but she is so sweet and has a beautiful soul. I love her!

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Lol. Teasing.

Tree hugging, crunchy, no shaving arm pits, green peace, vegan, liberal types.

I like hippies, just not the modern day, prius driving wannabe ones.
rayroe2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I consider myself a hippie. lol I am laid back but have that fight to be a individual. I think you have levels of hippies, you have your crazy hippies, your druggie hippies, and then just the other hippies.

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I am a hippie compared tp my friends and family

RaeRaeNe
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I am a hippy!
StarryRain
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Myself. Lolz!

Half the people I know.

My grandmother. (She died while living at a commune, lol!!!)

I know there are negative connotations to the term, but I think it's relative to the individuals being described.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN