Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BabySitter MONSTERS!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary yesterday, and got a chance to go out ALONE for the first time in 2 years (no exaggeration, its really been that long!). It was wonderful, I really enjoyed our 1 on 1 time! We were out for 6 hours, and when we got home the baby sitters had already put our children in bed... After the sitters left my 10 month old started crying, so I went and got him (cause I missed him). I was surprised to find he was soaking wet and still in his day clothes that he was wearing when we left! The next morning I found that my 3 year old was still wearing underwear (I gave specific directions to put him in a pull up or diaper over night), and he and his bed were soaking wet! It does not stop there though, my computer starts acting funny and I noticed that 3 things have been down loaded to the hard drive that were not there before!!! I also find a few of our items are missing as well... These people that I trusted in my house to watch my children were family (married in) but still family... They obviously spent more time on the computer than with my kids, and took things from my house!!! I'm more hurt than I am angry at this point... I have known these people for years and never expect them to do something like this! I don't know how to go about this, or if I should just let it go... I do know that these people will NEVER watch my children again!!! This makes me afraid to ever go out alone and leave my kids with a sitter again, had I knew that this would have happened I would have just stayed home.... What would you do if you were in my position???sadHas anything similar ever happened to you???

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmericanChild82
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I'd make a list of everything and then call them out on it.

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

This is one of the huge reasons I haven't had anyone except our parents watch my daughter.  She's only four months, but I don't feel like I'll ever be able to leave her with someone else!  We don't have much of value in our house, but the things we do have, we CANNOT afford to replace right now.  I would be beyond furious, their lack of attention could have gotten your children hurt!  I think the only thing you can do is not have them even be around your kids or your home, and warn others that may use them as sitters.

larschick
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Contact the police about the stolen items if they didn't return them within 24 hours
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chanceordesire
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I agree with americanchild82! but don't let this one time ruin your potential future dates. you and your husband need that time together! not all babysitters are bad but I'm guessing because there was more than one and maybe because of their age, lack of attention AND because they've known you for a while that they acted the way they did and thought they could get away with it. If i were you, heads would roll! Let them know what responsibility they had and watching your children, no less! I would NOT let this go. Tear them behinds up! :) Let them know you don't appreciate it. if you let it go, you'll regret it/ be prone to keep letting it slip in the future.

karamelkat9
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I was usually a sitter for 3 kids. I never once sat down to even watch T.V. She came in once saying 0h you don't have to play with them just make sure this and that are done. I'm like WHAT?! How do you not show kids attention when they obviously want it. I never had any complaints about me babysitting... I always see it as respecting these children like they are my own.

So sorry you had a bad experience. Especially since its family.. I would have confronted the person.

carinsmommy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I had a family member offer to babysit. We had just moved, hubby was having a hard time finding work, etc. She knew our circumstances and offered to sit for free to help us out till hubby started recieving pay. Well the job hubby got turned out to be a scam (Kirby Vacum fair warning guys!) and he never got paid any money. So I was saving all of my expense money which is money I get paid for driving for work, to buy christmas. I knew it was going to be tight as it was. I had a couple hundred in the piggy bank in my room. Needless to say I explained that the job he had gotten wasn't working and I wouldn't need her to baby sit because hubby was going to be home looking for a real job. The last day she was there she stole all of the money out of the piggy bank. I was so mad that I haven't spoken to her since then even though I have seen her at family gatherings. I just let it go for the peace of the family.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Don't let it go!
MommieSDW
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM

That's awful :( 

frndlyfn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I would report all missing items to the police and do a good scan on the computer and password lock it.  How horrible for your children.  I trust only a few people to watch dd.  One I dont trust anymore since he takes it upon himself to clean and throw things out w/o telling us.  I have a feeling we have lost alot of documents that way which were important to us for geneology and medical stuff.

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

I would report all missing items to the police and do a good scan on the computer and password lock it.  How horrible for your children.  I trust only a few people to watch dd.  One I dont trust anymore since he takes it upon himself to clean and throw things out w/o telling us.  I have a feeling we have lost alot of documents that way which were important to us for geneology and medical stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)