Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've decided to go back to school...but where to start?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was 18 when I first got pregnant and had to drop out uf college because it was to much for me, but i've decided on going back! This is something I really want to do for myself AND my son. I want to show him that if I can do it alone, then he can do anything he wants to set his mind to. The only problem is I have no clue where to start. I know I need to do online classes because I work full time and have my son to care for, but thats about when I hit my wall lol any suggestions? I need all the help I can get!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvhubandbabys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM
U can try online classes thru ur local community college
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsLondon
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

This. This is what I'm doing. I did some on campus in the beginning but now I'm 100% online. Online courses are more work but much more flexible.

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

U can try online classes thru ur local community college

momsince04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Do you know what you want to go to school for? Research the different classes offered, and really try to find something that will keep your attention. Doing online classes is harder than what it seems, well for me it was since i swear i have ADD :) Get your son into a routine where he know its mommys quiet time, and he can do crafts or set up a desk for him, and let him pretend he is doing school work too. I made a desk from card board, and they played school, and i got alot done. And make sure youreally can have the time to do your classes. 

Good Luck.

MrsLondon
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Oh and the community colleges are much more inexpensive then online schools. Plus, more than likely you'll be able to transfer those courses to continue on to a bachelors.

jreagan624
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I want to go to school for accounting, not sure which branch yet, I deff don't want to do tax returns. I know that for sure! I already looked up the classes I would need to take, I just don't know how to research the different schools, i'm scared i'm going to get scammed.Also financial aid, I have no idea where to start on that lol I think i'm in over my head. My local community college doesn't offer 100% online courses. I would have to go there to take tests and do the labs and what nots, i don't have time for that lol my study time would be after bed time.

luvhubandbabys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
That's my major also. I go to columbia college 100% online. I did however get my associates first thru community college all mt credits transferred. Its a legit school. Its not like a typical online school like univeristy of phoenix. Ccis.edu check em out. My friend went there then moved to fl and transferred to univesity of fl and all his classes transferred which normally isn't the case when u go to schools like UoP normally their classes r only good at that school..never go to a school where the credits don't transfer. Check accrediations. No matter where u go do ur homework on the school.

Quoting jreagan624:

I want to go to school for accounting, not sure which branch yet, I deff don't want to do tax returns. I know that for sure! I already looked up the classes I would need to take, I just don't know how to research the different schools, i'm scared i'm going to get scammed.Also financial aid, I have no idea where to start on that lol I think i'm in over my head. My local community college doesn't offer 100% online courses. I would have to go there to take tests and do the labs and what nots, i don't have time for that lol my study time would be after bed time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Def look into ur local comm college first for anything. I'm doing my nursing pre reqs online(at least the ones I can) and u will just need to fit it in ur sched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieSDW
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Look up community colleges in your area, most offer online classes. File for Financial Aid. Once you file for aid and get approved, apply to the college, you may have to go to an orientation and take a placement test. After that, they will give you your student ID and help you sign up for classes. When I took classes online, essays and stuff were due once a week but you have to check it everyday. 

BethanyCO6777
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I started going to college again two years ago, its been so important for my sanity! I love that I have this one thing in my life that is totally mine, and is going to make my future better! My daughter is 4 and I work full time so I do all online classes. Its worked out great for me.

I would reccomend applying for your federal financial aid as soon as you get accepted to you college. I think the deadline for any aid year is the end of June, (aid year being the fall and spring semesters). If your a single mom Im sure you will have no problem getting enough aid to cover your classes and books.

Congrats on your choice to go back! Im sure you will be an excellent example for your baby. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)