Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What are your texting pet peeves?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Texting Habits That Are Highly Annoying

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on January 15, 2013 

textingI love texting. Call me Textasaurus Rex. Or Tyrannosaurus Text. Your choice. But I love texting. Love it, love it, love it. It's about 4,000 times easier than making an actual phone call. (Phone call? What's that, you dinosaur?) It's convenient ("What time r u gonna be home?" "7"). And it takes the awkwardness out of communicating via cell with people you're not besties with. (Have you ever been nervous to send a text? Prolly not.)

But still. There are a few annoying habits people engage in while texting -- and here r 7 of thm.

Using "Y" or "N" for "yes" or "no". I admit, I've done this, but it's f*cking ridiculous. I mean, how hard is it to type "es" or "o"? I know we're all busy, but come on.

The ridiculously long text. Like I said, I'm all about texting, but if what you're writing goes into three long separate texts, just call. It'll probably be quicker.

The text that says, "Just left you a message." You're probably not answering your phone for a reason -- be it you're busy, or you just don't want to. You'll get around to calling back when you get around to calling back. And it's kind of a trick, because if you text back, the person knows you're there and dodged their call. 

The million texts in a row before you get a chance to respond. Ever pick up your phone and realize you have, like, 10 texts -- from the same person? That's annoying!

The Emoji-obsessed texter. Emojis are cute, and sometimes, they can get a point across better than actual words can (which is really sad). But when you start sending messages that contain a pill, a girl dancing, a bunny, and a bowl of ramen-looking soup, you have a problem. 

Using abbreviations to the point of making your text unreadable. There are the classics: "U" instead of "you"; "idk" instead of "I don't know"; "OMG" for -- what does that even stand for anymore? But then there are the texts that are literally nothing but abbrevs. Stp tht. See? You probably didn't even know what I said there! I said: Stop that!

Having texting be your only form of communication. Texting is convenient, but come on guys, let's not all turn into a bunch of voiceless drones with robo-fast thumbs.

What are your texting pet peeves?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
Celtic_Dragon
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I knew that stp tht meant "stop that" because we can read words without using vowels.

ColieO
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I don't like text speech pretty much at all. I admit I overuse lol. I do. But when I get a text from my BOSS that looks like "hey wht store # u in 2day?" I die a little inside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dcn2010
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Improper grammar. Your for you're. Then for than. Etc. I hate it!! Lol

Vinterland
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I can't stand shortened words and horrid grammar, we aren't fourteen anymore. It's annoying when people keep texting or sending the same text over and over again just because you didn't reply right away as well. Also, when people want to text constantly but they're not saying anything! It's just "nm", "lol", "k" and other one or two word replies. It's just a waste of time to me, I somewhat feel like I'm talking to a wall. 

Ultra_
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM

We have a friend that always uses CUM. "Wen can we cum ovr?" Actually, she has horrible spelling and grammar like in my example. I don't know if she is accidentally mispelling, or trying to abbreviate everything. I can overlook that. I'm just sooo disturbed when she uses "cum" all the time. Someone needs to point out that "cum" usually means male ejaculate, but that someone isn't me!

EmmaZate
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM
I hate when my mother tries to text.... She's pretty terrible at it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Capitalizing words and punctuation, I hate when sentences runs together or NEVER end!

I can't stand when people misspell words on purpose or shorten words until they are unrecognizable.

I also can not stand when someone keeps on texting you if you don't text back. I was sick and taking a nap one day and woke up to 47 text messages!  All from one person. Then I got on Facebook and had over 47 messages, from the same person! Nothing important either.

pampire
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:12 AM

This is really the only one I can think of.

Quoting Cassie2115:

I hate when I get a reply that just says "k". That stems back to when I only had 1000 texts a month...it's a waste of a text message in my opnion lol

SassySue123
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Geez, I have a friend that dies all the above.
She also, text while driving. I even asked her once if she was driving and she said yes. I politely said goodbye and would not text her back.
Yet, I know she continues to this. If I'm driving I use the voice text or have one if my kids read it and respond for me. Or they'll just put driving ttyl.
I've explained the dangers but she doesn't care.
AleaKat
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN