Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What are your texting pet peeves?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Texting Habits That Are Highly Annoying

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on January 15, 2013 

textingI love texting. Call me Textasaurus Rex. Or Tyrannosaurus Text. Your choice. But I love texting. Love it, love it, love it. It's about 4,000 times easier than making an actual phone call. (Phone call? What's that, you dinosaur?) It's convenient ("What time r u gonna be home?" "7"). And it takes the awkwardness out of communicating via cell with people you're not besties with. (Have you ever been nervous to send a text? Prolly not.)

But still. There are a few annoying habits people engage in while texting -- and here r 7 of thm.

Using "Y" or "N" for "yes" or "no". I admit, I've done this, but it's f*cking ridiculous. I mean, how hard is it to type "es" or "o"? I know we're all busy, but come on.

The ridiculously long text. Like I said, I'm all about texting, but if what you're writing goes into three long separate texts, just call. It'll probably be quicker.

The text that says, "Just left you a message." You're probably not answering your phone for a reason -- be it you're busy, or you just don't want to. You'll get around to calling back when you get around to calling back. And it's kind of a trick, because if you text back, the person knows you're there and dodged their call. 

The million texts in a row before you get a chance to respond. Ever pick up your phone and realize you have, like, 10 texts -- from the same person? That's annoying!

The Emoji-obsessed texter. Emojis are cute, and sometimes, they can get a point across better than actual words can (which is really sad). But when you start sending messages that contain a pill, a girl dancing, a bunny, and a bowl of ramen-looking soup, you have a problem. 

Using abbreviations to the point of making your text unreadable. There are the classics: "U" instead of "you"; "idk" instead of "I don't know"; "OMG" for -- what does that even stand for anymore? But then there are the texts that are literally nothing but abbrevs. Stp tht. See? You probably didn't even know what I said there! I said: Stop that!

Having texting be your only form of communication. Texting is convenient, but come on guys, let's not all turn into a bunch of voiceless drones with robo-fast thumbs.

What are your texting pet peeves?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (51-60):
mommyinindiana
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I hate when people text late at night and ask what im doing. hello its three am im sleeping!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mazi184
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I hate bad spelling and grammar in texts. I'm no grammar nazi, I'm talking about completely butchered sentences and words. If it takes me more than a second to try and decode your text, I'm not reading it. " ain't nobody got time for that."
tbursac777
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM

the single letter "K"

drives me nuts. i'd rather you not respond than just write.. K

Tigress22304
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

no matter what the text is-the only thing my sister will text is

"k"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr drives me bonkers!

CBMMOM
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I don't know why people hate it when someone replies with ok or k. They are acknowledging your text. At least you know they received it. Maybe they have nothing to add.  Now on to what I hate. I hate when someone sends you a text,then they send you another one before you are even finished replying to the first. Now the reply you were just spent time typing doesn't even make sense anymore.

cecisMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

my texting pet peeve is when ppl confuse it for a phone call & expect u to reponse PRONTO!

HaileysMom07180
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

the last one is totally me.  hehe

rfhsure
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I hate compulsive texters. Who just do not stop. It annoys the shit out of me when I'm hanging out with someone and they're texting the whole time. Why don't they just go hang out with the person they're texting the whole time and I'll just text them, because apparently that's their idea of connecting with people on a personal level. 80% of the time, they're not even talking about anything important, they're just bullshitting with everyone and their mother. I hate it hate it hate it. Or when you ask them to chill out with the phone they find any possible reason to use it because they're just aching to have an excuse to respond to something. Like if you say you're hungry they immediately pull their phone out to 'look for restaurants'......and respond to a meaningless text.

When I was in school - people who text during class. dude. your girlfriend goes to the same school, you're literally going to see her in 30 minutes. is it really necessary?

people who text and drive. This is my biggest pet peeve. It seems like everywhere I go, I look over in the car next to me and the person has their head down. really? If people are texting while driving in the car with me I'll straight up grab their phone I don't care. If I'm in the car with you, you're responsible for my life and the lives of others around you. If it's so important that it absolutely needs a response, I will happily oblige by answering the text for them.

In fact, texting as a whole is practically a pet peeve. Not entirely, I text, after all. It's not like I've never used a phone. But there's a time and place for things. If I'm in class, my attention is in class. If I'm with friends, my attention is with them. If I'm driving, it's on the road. If I'm walking, it's where I'm going. So mostly it just annoys me that so many people today need to have their phone out all the time. I realize not everyone is like me and texting can be a useful convenient tool - but it is not a necessity nor is it necessary most of the time.

krn210
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't stand when someone will text you 10 times in five minutes, so you call them and they don't answer. I have a friend that does this all of the time! You can bet your booty if you text her right after calling she'll respond. Grrrrr.....

Beauty91805
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
All of the above!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)