Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitter refuses to give baby back

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

Babysitter Who Refused to Give Baby Back to Mother Was Just Doing Her Job

Posted by Adriana Velez
on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Should a child care worker ever hand over a baby to a drunk parent? A New Year's Eve fight broke out over that question when a "highly intoxicated" mother attempted to pick up her 2-month-old baby from a babysitter. She attacked two other people and was later arrested.

This was not just an argument, either. The mother hit one of the victims several times in the face, arms, and chest, and the second victim in the face. I don't know where the baby was during this fight, but I just hope he or she was a safe distance from this altercation and not in one of the victims' arms. I guess I'd have to hear more about the story to really say ... but maybe it was a good call not to let the baby go home with the mother?

I can imagine the mama-bear rage that would be unleashed if a sitter refused to hand over a baby. I'm sure the mother was outraged (and maybe a little embarrassed) to be told she was too drunk to take her baby. And then of course there's that lingering threat hanging over that accusation -- if you're too drunk to take your baby home, maybe you're a lousy mother. Maybe you're a total screw-up in life.

I don't know if the mother was driving, either. I would feel less nervous about sending a baby home with a drunk mother if I knew she at least had a safe way to get home. (I would still feel uneasy, though.) But if I knew she was getting behind the wheel of a car with that baby? No way. Better to suffer the mom's wrath than to let an accident happen.

People in that state can become irrational -- and dangerous. But what if the mother wasn't really that drunk? What if it was just a bad judgement call? I don't know that I'm completely comfortable with the idea of a sitter being in the position to make that call. I've come home to a sitter after parties or dinners where I did have something to drink. I don't like getting drunk in the first place, so I've never been in that position. But I think I'd get kind of defensive if I came home a little "happy" and was then accused of being unfit to stay with my baby. 

I guess when in doubt, the sitters should call the police. But what are you supposed to do while you wait for them to arrive? For all I know, that's what these two people did, and the fight broke out while they were waiting for the police to arrive and make the call. Still, you could look at it this way: These two people may have saved a baby's life.

Do you think a babysitter should refuse to hand over a child to their parent if they suspect the parent is drunk?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Unoriginal.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Drunk woman fights two others over baby

Published: Monday, January 14, 2013 at 14:39 PM.

FORT WALTON BEACH - A "highly intoxicated" woman was arrested after she allegedly attacked two other people in an argument over a baby.

On Jan. 1 an Okaloosa County Sheriff's deputy went to a Canopy Lane residence after learning of an alleged assault.

There, he learned a 22-year-old Fort Walton Beach woman had gotten into an argument with two other people after she tried to take her 2-month-old child from a babysitter. The deputy wrote in the arrest report the woman was highly intoxicated.

During the argument, the woman struck one victim several times in her face, chest and arms. She allegedly struck the second victim in the face.

The first victim had a small cut on her right wrist.

The woman was charged with misdemeanor battery. Her court date is Jan. 22.

heartagram_girl
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I side with the sitter. There is no telling what could have happened at home. If mom is drunk enough for someone to tell, she shouldnt be taking care of a child. I am all for having fun, but if having fun means getting drunk, then no. You can wait till the child is old enough to somewhat take care of themselves- but 2 months old? What if mom had tripped while carrying the poor baby?

If I left my child with someone, and I came back drunk to pick them up, yeah I would be pissed if they refused to give my child to me. But that would also bring to mind that yes, I am drunk. I shouldnt be trying to care for a child to begin with. Just my personal opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
NOLAmommaKRYS
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I side with the sitter!!! No way would I release a child into the hands of a drunk parent. I don't care if they aren't driving. The parent needs to be able to wake up when the baby is hungry, etc.

Cudos to the sitter for taking care if that baby like she should.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsLondon
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this

The sitter was right and the mother is an idiot.

MamaJJ430
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I side with the sitter!! I would never sit there and hand a baby over to an obviously intoxicated parent. I know that with them it is the worst thing, but if that mother would have taken the time to sober up... she would have realized that this babysitter was trying to do her a favor.

ccdub1220
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

You say this woman was picking up her child? I'd probably hang on to the baby if she was going to get in the car with him/her. If someone else was driving, I would've hated it, but let the baby go and notified DCFS. Unfortunately bad decisions aren't necessarily illegal decisions. Once she became violent, though, that definitely is cause to hang on to the baby and notify police immediately. 

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM

There aren't enough details. It's not illegal to be drink and have children. WHo was with her and where was the father. I'd attatch anyone who refused to hand my baby over too!

Unoriginal.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM

BUMP!

CheyennesMommy2
by Jess on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I would never hand a baby over to someone that drunk. Its irresponsible to take care of a baby while drunk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

babysitter was smart & all sitters should make that call 2 the cops if parent(s) are drunk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)