Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

just doesn't want to try? dyslexia? Something in between?? Help this frustrated mommy!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
anyone have a kid who is dyslexic or are dyslexic themselves? DS (6.5 yrs old/1st grade) is getting to be soo frustrating with his homework because he doesn't want to try and he's constantly writing numbers and letter backwards, when reading his also mixes up basic sight words. I know those can all be signs of dyslexia but i haven't heard anything from his teacher, speech therapist, occupational therapist, music teacher, etc about anyone noticing anything like that. I have seen it on some of his work that he does in school, but it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem with that work. Tonight, for example, he had to write 1 - 100, in order, and there were about 20 numbers randomly printed for him already. Of the 80 he had to write, he probably wrote part, or all of 30 of them backwards. He also kept acting like he didn't know how to count past 20 and I know for a fact that he does!! Grrr!! Its so frustrating!
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

*sorry for typos.

hannahsmom238
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I'm pretty sure my daughter of the same age had the exact worksheet just yesterday. Actually, I had a similar problem with mine this year I found math and reading games online and the extra practice seems to help. Try talking to his teacher about what you can do to help him before he falls behind she may have some ideas. Cheer up I understand just how frustrating this is especially when you know the kid knows the work. I also think its common for kids to write words and numbers backwards until the age of 7 or 8.

hannahsmom238
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Additionally , I'm not qualified to diagnose dyslexia but if you think it's a problem you may want to get him tested.

Quoting hannahsmom238:

I'm pretty sure my daughter of the same age had the exact worksheet just yesterday. Actually, I had a similar problem with mine this year I found math and reading games online and the extra practice seems to help. Try talking to his teacher about what you can do to help him before he falls behind she may have some ideas. Cheer up I understand just how frustrating this is especially when you know the kid knows the work. I also think its common for kids to write words and numbers backwards until the age of 7 or 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN