Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Cloth-diapering?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

Does anyone else cloth diaper? How do you store the dirty ones until it's time for them to be washed? How do you actually put them on your baby? What brand do you use?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I do. In a bucket (no water, it was cheap). Like a diaper. They are shaped like disposables. I use work at home mom brands, Alva, kawaii, flip, there's a few other brands.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Cloth diapering is coming into favor bc they are super cute, saves a rob of money, easy to use, better for baby and environment. :D
mama.farmer
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I've been using Econobums, which use the old-style trifolds. I like them, and they can be done without diaper pins...but I'm finding I want to use them in the way that uses diaper pins. They're pretty easy, and I can get the whole supply for his diapering career for $100, which is AWESOME, plus I save money using my own homemade laundry detergent (1 year of supplies costs me $28.90), but one of my struggles is how big they make his bottom, and finding clothes to go on top.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Cloth diapering is coming into favor bc they are super cute, saves a rob of money, easy to use, better for baby and environment. :D

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Yes we do. I use indian and Chinese diaper service quality prefolds and one size snap covers and dappi nylon pull on pants ( MUCH. Better than gerber pull on covers).

I spent about 500 dollars total and have cloth diapered 3 kids from birth to totally potty trained and am cloth diapering #4.

I store them in a lidded trash can and wash every other day. They do not smell. In fact I find a soiled disposable in the trash smells awful compared to a full can of soiled cloth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I store dirty diapers in a wet bag (which I wash along with the diapers)

I use BumGenius and Sunbaby brands.

I loooove it! So easy!
mama.farmer
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

:) Econobums are the cheaper version of BumGenius. It is easy! And soooo much better all the way around. My husband refuses to change a cloth diaper because he can't handle washing out poop, but he's leaving soon, and I'm used to it because my daughter had a tough time potty-training. 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I loooove it! So easy!

LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I love pre folds and covers for littles. Mine: s 18 months and I haven't made it a.priority to buy pre folds for his size so I don't use them. You might like ai2s for size. I have a variety of types. Do you use the snappi or pins?
Cottonbabies.com has econobum covers in white for $4.95. Its under seconds sale (I only buy seconds from them).
Buy clothes a size up, it works. Also my D's wears sweat pants. They have more give.

Quoting mama.farmer:

I've been using Econobums, which use the old-style trifolds. I like them, and they can be done without diaper pins...but I'm finding I want to use them in the way that uses diaper pins. They're pretty easy, and I can get the whole supply for his diapering career for $100, which is AWESOME, plus I save money using my own homemade laundry detergent (1 year of supplies costs me $28.90), but one of my struggles is how big they make his bottom, and finding clothes to go on top.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Really???

My Dh has changed, washed, and handled cloth diapers from birth. He is super supportive.

I'll check out the Econobum, thanks!

Quoting mama.farmer:

:) Econobums are the cheaper version of BumGenius. It is easy! And soooo much better all the way around. My husband refuses to change a cloth diaper because he can't handle washing out poop, but he's leaving soon, and I'm used to it because my daughter had a tough time potty-training. 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I loooove it! So easy!

mama.farmer
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I actually use both pins and snaps; I use pins to keep the trifolds in place and then put the snap cover over top. I know it might be over done, but since I'm the one who changes his diapers when he's wearing cloth, who really cares? Walmart sells the big box kits for $50; that inclues 12 trifolds and 3 covers. I only have one kit because I wanted to try them out, but now that I have, I'm hooked. I told DH that next paycheck, I want to get another kid, but my MIL is excited that I'm doing this and she wants to buy our supplies for us. I haven't decided if I'll let her; maybe she can buy me extra trifolds.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I love pre folds and covers for littles. Mine: s 18 months and I haven't made it a.priority to buy pre folds for his size so I don't use them. You might like ai2s for size. I have a variety of types. Do you use the snappi or pins?
Cottonbabies.com has econobum covers in white for $4.95. Its under seconds sale (I only buy seconds from them).
Buy clothes a size up, it works. Also my D's wears sweat pants. They have more give.

Quoting mama.farmer:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

mama.farmer
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

lol DH will change disposables, no problem, and he doesn't have a problem with me doing cloth diapers, but he will not clean a poopy cloth diaper. He just can't handle cleaning the poop off. His version of supportive is buying me the supplies and not protesting my preference.

Btw, you can buy Econobum as a kit with the trifolds and covers for $50 on walmart.com.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Really???

My Dh has changed, washed, and handled cloth diapers from birth. He is super supportive.

I'll check out the Econobum, thanks!

Quoting mama.farmer:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I loooove it! So easy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN