Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

question from a first time mom

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM
  • 16 Replies

ive gone through the whole pregnancy and im in my 8 month and survived farely well lol but besides being in love and married to the dad of my child (didnt wanna say baby daddy its too ghetto for my taste, no offense if any taken) but what im getting at is im getting ready to be induced this coming monday the 21st (due to me having seziures and having one a couple days ago they moved up my due date a week early my original due date was the 28th) it doesnt feel real like im not scared or anxious its more of a nonchalaunt type of feeling... is this normal? could this be a sign of depression? IDK but ive told other people like friends and family and they just re-assure me that things will be fine but does anyone have a insight on this topic?

any advice or words of wisdom or even just support/help is greatly appriacated

~Mommy_love13

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jensep
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Must be your mommy instincts kicking in :) I wasn't nervous at all when it got close to my due date, the night before though, I'm sure it will be tough to sleep, then reality will kick in! Good luck :)

mama.farmer
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I wasn't overly nervous with either of my kids, not even with my second child, and I knew I was attempting natural labor with him, and was induced. The only time I got nervous was when they decided to induce me because they were worried about my thyroid levels and how they would affect him. But I wasn't worried about the actual birth; I was so stoked to meet him. It was a shock when they put him on my chest and I saw that adorable little face for the first time.

mommykm
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM
No hun iits perfectly fine, some mothers are relaxed and calm even during labor!! I wasnt haha but i did have depression. If your feeling sad the first couple days after labor it's normal due to all the changes. But if u still feel that way weeks after delivery it could be depression. If so please see your doctor right away before it gets worse. Goodluck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2grls629
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I was a little nervous but like you it just didn't feel real. In fact, for me the first time, it didn't start to sink in until I was home with the baby and we had been out of the hospital for a few days, lol. I think it happens to all first time mom's. You'll be just fine and as soon as you see the baby and hold it and everything it will sink in.
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I wasnt worried at all with my first daughter. Even after my water broke. My water broke an hour after I went to bed, woke up cuz i thought i had peed the bed lol! But my husband was rushing me to get to the hospital, but I didn't care. I played some video games for a while and then got sick of his bitching so we left, hit dunkin donuts on the way up there. I started getting a little less calm when contractions started about 6 hours after my water broke.

Im-HiDdEn
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

ITs pretty normal to feel calm right before birth while everyone else around you is freaking out.  I was more anxious then scared and it all works out in the end and I would totaly shoot for the epidural early on cuz I swear itsa lifesaver when they come in to check you and you cant feel a thing.  I think getting checked for dialation hurt the worse then anything.  Hope that helped you out!

Gastromama2007
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I was induced in an emergency, and while pure chaos was taking place, I had never felt so calm. It's almost weird to explain. I'm thinking its normal since I have gone thru it myself. I think it's just an instinct to expect the inevitable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I was induced as well and felt the same.  I wasn't really anxious anymore because I didn't have to wonder every day if that would be THE day.  I knew when she would be here.  At the same time though, I (6 days overdue) had a mindset that she was literally never coming out, so I just thought "psh, yeah right..."

I would definitely say it didn't feel real, even after they put her on my chest and I saw her.  Probably not until we got her home and were like "now what?"

midjet117
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No i don't think its a sign of depression or anything like that. it means you except it and are ready to take the plunge into motherhood. congrats mama
villagemamma
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL totally normal. i was so calm and casual about the whole thing until i went into active labor. thats when sh!t got real! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)