Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How soon after birth does sex stop hurting?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 24 Replies

This is a personal question, but I have to ask. I tore during birth and needed stitches, my daughter is five months now and sex is still very painful. I'm starting to worry it will never be painless! Anyone with similar experience and/or advice on the matter?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katie31990
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

BUMP!

FoxTales
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Hmmm... To be honest, I don't recall. I know if it was "passionate" (not rough, but you know what I mean?) I was sore afterward or I would get a little bit of pain... But I don't seem to remember it lasting 5 months. Perhaps ask a doctor about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
For me, with both my babies, there was no more pain by 8weeks pp. However my sil torn and told me she couldnt have sex for 6months, her daughter is 4 and she said sex is still painful. Maybe you should talk to your dr. If the pain is in your actual vagina (not uterus from deep penetration) i recommend you take evening primrose oil. Read about it first of course , my sil started taking this and says it is helping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I'm 4 months pp and it still hurts.  I tore also, and during my pregnancy sex was really painful. We tried at 5 weeks and no way. We haven't had sex since, I'm too scared and have had two 3-week periods...

I've asked this question somewhere before, and I had some people that said it took them a year.  Hopefully that's not the case for either of us!

slrsgirl
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I remember after my first son it took a few months. With my second (10 wk old) it is still a little sore. I know with me I had to make sure I really wanted it otherwise it was even more painful if I wasn't in he mood. You might need to try different positions too.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I had csections so it never hurt after. After 5 months, I would be asking my Dr.
Do you use lube to see if that helps?

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I have no idea, I had c-sections.

Bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krn210
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

After my first sex hurt for quite awhile....like 6/7 months. I talked with my doctor about it and after an exam she told me everything was fine. I read in one of my pregnancy books that it can sometimes take up to a year for everything internally to fully heal. Things did improve, and after my second it hasn't been an issue. I would give it some time. Before being intimate with your hubby relax as much as you are able. Maybe he can give you a massage or have a glass of wine (if possible). The less tense and anxious you are the better. 

Thoughtfulmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I am breastfeeding and that has made my vagina super tender. My daughter is 8 months and still no way. I had a c-section too, so for me it is definitely not due to tearing or anything like that. I am going to talk to my Dr. about liquid estrogen maybe since lube is not at all comfortable for me. Good luck to you, I know how rough no sex can be.
MAJL2009
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I had an emergency c section, but I was also dilated between 4-5 when they decided to a c section, my ds had a small cone head, but it did hurt to have sex for a while...it could be because I was half way there.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

I had csections so it never hurt after. After 5 months, I would be asking my Dr.
Do you use lube to see if that helps?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN