Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Gastric Bypass.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

What are your opinions on weight loss surgeries?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
greengreengrass
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM
My sil had gastric bypass 5 years ago but never changed her eating habits. She would drink koolaid by the gallon and eat non stop even with the surgery. She started at over 500lbs, went down to 475ish but gained it all back plus some.

In my opinion, if you can't change your life style then nothing will work, not even surgery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I think it's a great tool for a lot of people. But it's just that a tool. It's not a cure or a foever fix. It's something the person has to work at daily.

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM

on the fence. i dont agree with doing it because you are to lazy to try to lose the weight yourself by diet change, exercise etc.., but im not against it either.

MomRocs1102
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Its helpful in changing people life for the better, if they take it serious and use it as a stepping stone not a quick fix meaning don't get the surgery, but continue to eat triple calories per day.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I think for morbidly obese people who literally can't work out, it's a great option.   It really shrinks your stomach, I don't see how anyone could continue eating horribly and in large portion sizes like they did before, they would constantly be sick!  I think normal overweight people just need a simple life style change!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

hershey417
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

they work for some but not for all. since last year, my doctor keep on trying to put in my mind that i qualify for it and that i have a 4 year old that needs her momma. like trying to force me to get it done. i'm at 300lbs and i was 412 at the beginning of december of last year. i lost my weight the natural way. watch what i eat, walk, and be more active. i was motivated. i'm not ashamed of my weight at all. it's life. everybody's different and i believe that surgery, in my point of view, would cause me to have multiple problems. more than i have now. so surgery would complicate things and gastric bypass ain't not joke. u have to change ur whole lifestyle and got to keep it up. my momma always told me, don't change for nobody but change for urself. don't let them tell u what to do and how to do it. only u can make the change. i only changed my ways because my momma passed away last year a week before my birthday at the age of 50 and i don't want that to happen to me. she's my motivation to get healthy and to stay healthy plus my little girl. but still til this day, my doctors still try to put it in my head about surgery and every time, i just go off. I'll do it the natural and safest way.

MommieSDW
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like some people really need it, but a lot of people are convinced by doctors to have it done, or are only 50 or so lbs overweight and want a quick fix. It's not a quick fix. It's rough and people die from the surgery.

hershey417
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

EXACTLY!!!! 100% AGREE

Page98
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess if you let yourself go so bad that you cant even walk or exercise, then yea... but then again, it doesn't seem like it would help.

Someone else metioned it being a tool. That is EXACTLY what it is. Just a tool for those who NEED it. HOWEVER, unless the person changes their lifestyle, no change will be made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)