Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Tell me your proposal story!

Posted by   + Show Post

I've recently been thinking aobut the multitude of ways a proposal can happen and how sweet some of them can be, so I want to hear yours!

My DH is in the Army, and at the time he was stationed in Korea. I knew it was coming but he had special things planned. One day at his mom's house, I Skyped him, and he watched as his mom and my DD brought out a beautiful dark cherry wood jewelry box, with music, and on the top was a mother-of-pearl design. The design was cranes, something I didn't realize until months later, and is sweet because our last name is Crane. My DD handed me the key to the lock, and when I opened it was the most GORGEOUS ring, and a letter. I read the letter, cried (inside it told me how he loved me, what he wanted for our future, and that in addition to loving me, he loved DD too), and then put on the ring. He told me he had wanted to record a video of him getting down on one knee in Korea and proposing to the camera, but the weather hadn't cooperated so he had to do it this way.

(If these aren't cranes, do NOT burst my bubble)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
prdmomnarmywife
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh had just gotten home from Korea. When he was deployed we talked about our feelings for each other, and i told him i wanted to wait to date him until he got home. because i didn't want things to be awkward and him change his mind ( we have been best friends since 5th grade & he had never shared his feelings with me until then ) When he was on leave we started dating and talked again about getting married Ect . We decided we wanted to get married because we loved each other and never wanted to lose one another . I told him he still had to purpose to me ;) Well he went back to base and a week later I flew out with ds . My flight was delayed the first time due to an ice storm . when i finally got there it was the night before valentines.

before getting there He had told me on the phone that he was upset because the jewelry store didn't have the ring he wanted to buy for me . I told him it was ok and I could wait . That night(4am) after I fell asleep he put the box in my hand and woke me up by saying "what's that"! He then asked me to marry him . My first response was calling him a brat! Lol because I hadn't expected it lol then I said yes and started crying .

Feb 24th will be 3 years that we have been married :)

He still finds it hilarious that the first thing I said was brat! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexislovesjr
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww! Mine is not very special he proposed to me in our highschool hallway on my b-day, the December before we graduated. the 1st ring he gave me wasnt very big but i didnt care at all. I got a new one on our wedding day. We got married very young, 17. Will be 6 years in March.

mrsbrand
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

AWWW!!! Those are definitely cranes. In addition to your Last name, to the Koreans Cranes also symbolize longevity, spirituality, nobility, and was the bird of the immortals. 

My DH and I met in Korea!! We were best friends fro about a year and started dating. After about 3 or 4 days he pulled a box out of his wall locker and told me to try it on. It was the ring. I tried it on and told him it fit, He said (totally serious, this is verbatim), "well, why don't you keep it, then." 

I looked like this -->   >.>  then like this -->  <.< Then I told him if he gave me a real proposal it would be a yes. The next day at lunch he handed me a Taco bell "Will you marry me" sauce packet. I laughed, but he forgot the ring. When we got off work that night he had the ring tied in a big pink bow on a bottle of makers mark (my drink of choice for partying when we were in Korea) I said yes, and asked when. He said well how soon do you think we can get to the courthouse? So we got married a couple weekends later LOL!! It was great and totally us. That will be 5 years ago in August. We have an 18 month old daughter and we're expecting number two. I'm out of the army and he will be too in the next couple weeks. I still crack up looking back at all of it. 

If 5 years ago some one told me I was going to marry and have babies with my best friend I would have laughed in their face. I was in love with him, but I thought he saw me as just a friend and I would have rather had him in my life as a friend then make things weird and not have him in my life at all. He's the best person I could have ever dreamed up to be with. 

molacio
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
SO proposed Monday night at family dinner after spending a year and a half deliberately dashing all my hopes. He shocked me so well, I didn't have a reaction until two in the morning and then I was giggling in my sleep.
KelissaMaye
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Same

Quoting bpryce:

aw thats sweet! I didnt get an official proposal, we just talked about getting married and then decided to go shopping for rings. It all happened pretty fast. I like that I got to pick out my rings :-)

.Nobody.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
That is adorable!

My husband said something like "I'm joining the army so we need to get married". I said "let's do it".

Lol we were 17 and crazy about eachother. <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama.farmer
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I would "like"this....but it's sad. 

Quoting Page98:

My SO's proposal was in a hospital. lol.

He had the ring custom made in May while we were vacationing in Italy by a good friend of his- little did I know I conceived our DD during that trip. He was planning to propose in July for our anniversary, however shortly after returning to the states, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. The next couple of months were a roller coaster. He proposed in the hospital.

When they told him it was terminal and he had only a few months left, we married, had a honey moon and 2 months before I had DD he passed.

It wasnt the most romantic proposal, but it was love.

KimTaylor76
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe that's sweet :)

We went out to dinner one night and took a back road home, he pretended that the car was having troubles so he pulled over and got out to look under the hood. Once he got out there he called for my help so I went out and he pulled out the ring and got down on one knee lol then we looked at the stars for a while and just talked about the future. Its kinda silly, but I loved it all the same :)
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

DH and I were college sweethearts and he'd graduated and taken a job in central Washington and I was student teaching in Idaho (in the town where his parents lived, so he'd usually visit on weekends). The proposal wasn't a surprise when a couple of weeks earlier he had asked my dad if he could marry me while I was in the room. I'm not sure what was less storybook-ending like: my dad's response of "Well, I guess that's up to her..." or the fact that when DH finally did propose, he more or less just tossed the ring box at me.

It's been nearly 4 years since his proposal, and we still joke that he owes me a better proposal at some point in time.

mylilprincesses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
my husband and i got engaged Valentines Day 2007. he booked us to stay in a bnb for two nights.. i was pregnant with our angel son at the time and during dinner he kept trying to propose to me and i kept making him nervous by asking.. hey what are tou doing.. or what do you got? lol totally spoiled it i know.. we didn't stay long for dinner cause i started to get extremely nauseous. so we left to go back to the room and i went into the bathroom and when i come out he grabs my hand and pulls me in front of the fire place and says i love you.. will you marry me? and pulls the ring (which was in a orange shine box) out of his cowboy and puts it on my finger.. which i kept giving him the wrong hand to put it on (same thing happened at our wedding lol).. now 4 kids and 6yrs later we are still happily married. We did our wedding colors in memory of our son which was baby blue and white. my orginal ring was stolen June 2009 but he got me a new one Christmas 2009. my husband did move up to Memphis, tn to be with me for about 5 yrs then we just moved back to his home state tx as of last May. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)