Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you ever talk or text with your baby in the car?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Moms Admit to Texting & Driving With Babies: Are They Nuts?

Posted by Mary Fischer on January 23, 2013 

baby in carHow many times do we have to be reminded just how dangerous it is to talk on the phone and/or text while driving? No matter how many accidents occur due to drivers who aren't paying attention to the road, plenty of people still refuse to put down their devices, probably because they don't think anything can actually happen to them.

As a mom who is 100 percent against talking (other than while using a hands-free calling device) and texting while I'm behind the wheel, I was pretty appalled to hear that many moms admit to talking and texting with their babies in the car.

Yep. It's true. A new survey conducted by Safe Kids Worldwide and American Baby magazine found that 78 percent of moms talk on the phone while driving, and 26 percent text and read emails. All of the participants surveyed admit to doing so with children under the age of 2 in the car.

And I know it doesn't make a difference what ages your kids are, you shouldn't be yapping away on your phone or texting, period.

But considering how much more frazzled, exhausted, and preoccupied moms of infants tend to be? Yeah, if anyone should know better than to talk, text, and drive at the same time, it's them.

OMG! What is wrong with these mothers? I know we're all busy and sometimes it can be pretty tempting to send a quick text or pick up the phone and make a call while you're on the road, but don't these moms realize they're carrying precious cargo in the back seat?

All it takes is a few seconds of having your eyes off the road, and boom! Everything that you love and hold dear can be taken away from you in an instant, all because you were in too much of a hurry to pull over and stop the car before making that call or sending that text.

When my son was a baby, smartphones weren't around yet, so texting wasn't even an option for me. But I never made phone calls while I was driving around with him. I was paranoid enough as it was about possibly getting into an accident with him in the car, so I never answered my phone, and if I really needed to make a call, I pulled into a parking lot or waited until I got home.

And even now that he's almost 7 years old, I only talk on the phone using the hands-free calling system in my car, and I never, N-E-V-E-R even think about sending a text.

I'm sure all of the moms who admit to texting and driving are very good moms who love their babies very much. But they really need to get a clue when it comes to using their devices while driving before something absolutely horrific happens.

And if thinking about how they'd feel if they were to get into an accident because of talking or texting doesn't convince them to stop, they should seriously consider having their heads examined.

Do you ever talk or text with your baby in the car?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexislovesjr
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I never text in the car period. I  when hate people do that.

jiffypop2207
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I don't talk or text in the car ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I never talk or text when driving. Nothing is so important that I would risk my life, my kids life or the life of others. Even before the laws, I never did.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I don't text while driving unless I'm at a stop light with or with out the kids. I do talk on the phone most the time it is on speak.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.m.r.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I do all the time, but I don't have a car so never the one driving when I do :) When I did drive though I would occasionally talk on the phone and I didn't even like doing that, and that was many years before I even thought of having a child. I think talking or texting while driving is ridiculous. There is absolutely no excuse to do it, it's just plain irresponsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I talk occassionally, but I keep it short, and pull over asap, whether the kids are with me or not. I have never texted while driving. If I absolutely must read/send a message, I pull over.

sissy852
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM
i do but i cant drive so i am never driving
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I talk. I have an over the head Bluetooth that I use. I don't text anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj2011
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Never did text & talk while driving. I even made my DF stop doing that. If his phone goes off I answer it not him.

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Hell no. I get mad a dh when he even tries to look at his phone while driving. It is one thing that will piss me off so quick....like 0-60 in 3 seconds quick. He can do it all he wants when hes alone in the car, but not with me or my kid in the car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)