Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Birth Control- The Stuff You Don't Hear About (Edit)

Posted by   + Show Post

So reading another post had me thinking about birth control.  Has anyone had NEGATIVE side effects from birth control?

I was on the pill between pregnancies, from 2006-2010. My skin was always clear, my periods on time and my weight, eh, so so. I never truly dieted so I don't know if my weight changed due to pill or lack of diet. 

I tried Mirena when I decided I was finished having children in 2008. My uterus rejected it, causing it to get stuck in my cervix and that lead to staph. My OBGYN office wouldn't connect me to my doctor, they said I was sick from  the flu that was going around. After it was finally removed, I went back on the pill.

I had my son in 2011. I got a tubal. After the first few months after my body regulated itself after the baby, I realized something. I felt a LOT different than I did the last 6 years or so. I used to suffer from anxiety pretty badly, depression, mood swings, anger, stress to the point my MIL was truly worried I'd have a stroke. These were thing I attributed to part of my personality. Now, that I haven't been on any birth control or pregnant in a year or so, I find myself happy, calm, I don't stay up all night worrying like I used to. I am hard to anger. Patient. Excited about the future. Weight loss is very easy for me now. I used to get anxiety over watching House because I was afraid of getting sick. I feel like a different person.

I don't know how much has to do with the pill or if I just grew up, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

EDIT:

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences! We all know what the fine print says about possible stroke or embolism but no one really thinks it will happen, or happen often. And as for your emotions, it's hard to put depression and the pill together so sometimes you just suffer alone without knowing why. Hopefully some of the replies here were able to help others! 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Replies (381-390):
Talliana
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I had to try several different pills before I found one that did not make me sick. I was vomiting and had headaches  when using most brands. Then I tried the patch which made me itch and came off sometimes. I tried the Nuvaring which made me to continually have thick discharges. After my second child I got a tubal so I don't have to worry about using BC anymore. 

fairytrashwhut
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don't know if anyone has said this or not but, I'm on the  depo shot, have been off and on for 3 years. (consistently the past two). One thing any of the doctors have failed to mention to me (and a few others I've met) is that the depo affects the level of Vitamin D(basically calcium) in your body. A normal person my age should have a Vitamin D level of 30, last year it was only 7. I've been taking Rx vitamin D weekly.. This year it has gone up to a whopping 14. I'm thinking of switching to Mirena but I'm very worried about the side effects...but also am concerned about getting osteoporosis before I'm 40 (or at all even) 

3lilladies81
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Yea I finally realized its why I gain weight after post partum. Lots of weight
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucysmommy69
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

i had good and bad things when i was on birth control (many types over the years)...good- regular, light periods, less mood swings, no weight gain, no surprise babies....but some bad was that i was naseus ALL the time, and eventually they started not working right after a year of so. 

glad the husband is fixed!

Keeely07
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Yeah I'd be getting both done.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I'm 25 with 4 girls. I had to have my tubes tied to have the novasure done. They will not do the novasure without that because once you have novasure done any pregnancy from then on out is dangerous and ha about zero chance of making it.

Quoting Keeely07:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 24, and I'm having very very bad periods. I'm on my period now and going on 13 days :( and today it got heavier like it's another period all over again. We are done having kids (have 2 already) so I really want to get the procedure done.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

My case was pretty bad. He had to do the procedure twice in a row but compared to the debilitating biweekly periods I normally have if why I think was my period that I had today it was so light. I went from a pad an hour atleast to a panty liner a few times a day. To me that is a huge success. Every other week for 6 days I couldn't leave my house 5 of those vomiting, migraine, and fatigue. I couldn't even get out of bed. Compared to that it worked amazing. It's also so minimally painful when I woke up. Like some bad cramps for two days

Quoting Keeely07:

Did the novasure work? I'm considering.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Oh I also got the novasure procedure done. The dr had to reset the machine because i shut it down. Essentially they had to so the procedure twice. The dr had never seen it before and finally believed me with the severity of my bleeding, etc

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I have tried them all except the mirena because I was so scared it would be like every other birth control and my body would reject it. I know my OCD, moodiness, short temper, bad skin of all things, unpredictable periods, severe migraines atleast three times a week and the other days I had bad headaches. I then would be exhausted. It didn't matter how much I slept. I went in to menopause from depo. Then I was put on the patch and was in hives all the time.

I have periods two weeks a month. Every other week I have a severe heavy debilitating period. To the point I vomit, can't eat, and I am horrible.

I got my tubes tied on the 7th and I can feel my body chemistry changing and I'm hoping its for the better. I've been randomly breaking down in tears and being insanely unpredictable. Hot flashes and cold sweats. Oh and I can't sleep. Hopefull. With more time this will be better

Keeely07
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I have the ParaGard IUD and the only bad thing is I have extremely heavy bleedjng. I've had it in for 4 months now. I can't stand it. I'm constantly bleeding. Going on 14 days now. The doctor put me on the Heather tablet which is norethindrone. Its to help my periods get lighter.I've been on it since last Sunday so like almost a week. I told the dr before that hormones really mess with my body. Well, sure enough I finally started feeling the effects a couple days ago. I am so tired all the time. I am so bloated I feel like I've gained weight. I am always hungry!! And I just feel downright depressed. It sucks.

I didn't take my pill today. It's not helping with the bleeding...I was starting to slow down then I started a full blown period all over again yesterday.

I actually have an appt Monday to talk to my doctor about getting my tubes tied and getting novasure. I can't wait!
Momof2almost
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I was on the pill years ago and I ended up getting a blood clot from it. Then I got a Mirena after my 1st son was born and when I went to get it removed it had grown into my tissue and HURT horribly coming out and then it caused me MAJOR infertility issues! So I have vowed that I will not do anymore BC (we use condoms only). I will have to get a hysterectomy soon because of other health issues though.
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
The tubal was rough for me and I was completely down for a week straight. I had issues though. I wish you the best of luck! This is the easiest period I think I've ever had since I started

Quoting Keeely07:

Yeah I'd be getting both done.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I'm 25 with 4 girls. I had to have my tubes tied to have the novasure done. They will not do the novasure without that because once you have novasure done any pregnancy from then on out is dangerous and ha about zero chance of making it.

Quoting Keeely07:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 24, and I'm having very very bad periods. I'm on my period now and going on 13 days :( and today it got heavier like it's another period all over again. We are done having kids (have 2 already) so I really want to get the procedure done.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

My case was pretty bad. He had to do the procedure twice in a row but compared to the debilitating biweekly periods I normally have if why I think was my period that I had today it was so light. I went from a pad an hour atleast to a panty liner a few times a day. To me that is a huge success. Every other week for 6 days I couldn't leave my house 5 of those vomiting, migraine, and fatigue. I couldn't even get out of bed. Compared to that it worked amazing. It's also so minimally painful when I woke up. Like some bad cramps for two days

Quoting Keeely07:

Did the novasure work? I'm considering.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Oh I also got the novasure procedure done. The dr had to reset the machine because i shut it down. Essentially they had to so the procedure twice. The dr had never seen it before and finally believed me with the severity of my bleeding, etc

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I have tried them all except the mirena because I was so scared it would be like every other birth control and my body would reject it. I know my OCD, moodiness, short temper, bad skin of all things, unpredictable periods, severe migraines atleast three times a week and the other days I had bad headaches. I then would be exhausted. It didn't matter how much I slept. I went in to menopause from depo. Then I was put on the patch and was in hives all the time.

I have periods two weeks a month. Every other week I have a severe heavy debilitating period. To the point I vomit, can't eat, and I am horrible.

I got my tubes tied on the 7th and I can feel my body chemistry changing and I'm hoping its for the better. I've been randomly breaking down in tears and being insanely unpredictable. Hot flashes and cold sweats. Oh and I can't sleep. Hopefull. With more time this will be better

Nikolita
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I took the Pill as a teenager, didn't have too many side effects. All I remember is that my boobs got bigger. 

I was on the Patch for awhile, no major side effects but I hated how it'd get stuck to my jeans. I switched between Depo and the Patch for the next couple of years, making sure I didn't go over the 2 year mark with the Depo because of the bone density side effect. Once I hit the mark I went back to the Patch. 

With Depo the only major side effect I had was major bleeding at the end of every 12 week cycle, so my doctor had me getting my shots every 10 weeks apart instead of every 12 or 13. I literally had no period for at least a year and it was awesome. I know others have had heavy side effects though, so obviously this method and this solution won't work for everyone.

I haven't used birth control in several years so I have no more recent experiences to share, sorry!

julesbouge
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I HATE what the hormones do to me while on BC.  I stopped taking any birth control over 10 years ago.  I will never go back on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)