Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Birth Control- The Stuff You Don't Hear About (Edit)

Posted by   + Show Post

So reading another post had me thinking about birth control.  Has anyone had NEGATIVE side effects from birth control?

I was on the pill between pregnancies, from 2006-2010. My skin was always clear, my periods on time and my weight, eh, so so. I never truly dieted so I don't know if my weight changed due to pill or lack of diet. 

I tried Mirena when I decided I was finished having children in 2008. My uterus rejected it, causing it to get stuck in my cervix and that lead to staph. My OBGYN office wouldn't connect me to my doctor, they said I was sick from  the flu that was going around. After it was finally removed, I went back on the pill.

I had my son in 2011. I got a tubal. After the first few months after my body regulated itself after the baby, I realized something. I felt a LOT different than I did the last 6 years or so. I used to suffer from anxiety pretty badly, depression, mood swings, anger, stress to the point my MIL was truly worried I'd have a stroke. These were thing I attributed to part of my personality. Now, that I haven't been on any birth control or pregnant in a year or so, I find myself happy, calm, I don't stay up all night worrying like I used to. I am hard to anger. Patient. Excited about the future. Weight loss is very easy for me now. I used to get anxiety over watching House because I was afraid of getting sick. I feel like a different person.

I don't know how much has to do with the pill or if I just grew up, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

EDIT:

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences! We all know what the fine print says about possible stroke or embolism but no one really thinks it will happen, or happen often. And as for your emotions, it's hard to put depression and the pill together so sometimes you just suffer alone without knowing why. Hopefully some of the replies here were able to help others! 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Replies (411-412):
EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
It was lighter than my normal period but it was still very freaky. The doctor told me to stop taking them, I was going to anyways, and try a different form but I said no to all the other ones. The strange part though is that I started the pill because my period was all over the place but when I got off the pill they became more normal.

Quoting Carmen_CO:

Wow - bleeding for 2-1/2 months? That's really rare. I was worried after 2 months because I wasn't bleeding. I thought the pill wasn't working and I was pregnant!

Quoting EskimoKisses4Me:

I was on the Pill for about two and half months before I couldn't take it anymore. I was bleeding the whole time I was on it and that was really the only problem I had with it. However I had just been diagnosed with bipolar and depression (right before I started BC) so I'm not sure if my crazy moods/emotions were due to the pill or not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PhilBradMommy
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I have noticed that I am way more moody, tired, depressed like, I stay up worrying too, cry easier, stress way more since I have been on birth control. I have been on birth control since July and I have noticed that I am more bitchy and I even have headaches allot right before I start my period. I don't know it is just weird that you are saying what I feel like and have noticed since I have been on birth control too. I was thinking it had to be the birth control and was thinking about contacting my Obgyn.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)