Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

learning to use utensiles

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
at what age/months should a child know how to use a utensile properly?
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I have no idea. My 3 year old can use a spoon, but he still drops stuff of it pretty often. He can't use a fork hardly at all though. My 18 month old can use both a little, but still uses his other hand to help get it in his mouth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamalovexo
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I have no idea. My 3 year old can use a spoon, but he still drops stuff of it pretty often. He can't use a fork hardly at all though. My 18 month old can use both a little, but still uses his other hand to help get it in his mouth.

oh ok so my DD is doing just fine then. i always give my 14 mo a spoon with her food she tries sometimes to use it which i guess it good but she moslty use her hands. lol im just one of those moms that worry too much and will try everything i can to prevent my child from falling behind lol
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My 18 month old just tries for a little while then gives up and goes to using his hands lol. No need to worry yet! Practice makes perfect.

Quoting Mamalovexo:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

oh ok so my DD is doing just fine then. i always give my 14 mo a spoon with her food she tries sometimes to use it which i guess it good but she moslty use her hands. lol im just one of those moms that worry too much and will try everything i can to prevent my child from falling behind lol
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
By two most use it pretty well. For my kids that's when I could give them cereal with milk or soup and they wouldn't make a huge mess.
funhappymom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Yeah 14 months old is pretty young to know how to use utensils correctly. Continue to give her one with each meal but don't worry too much yet :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)