Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Early dismissal, really?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 28 Replies

We live in PA.  We are used to snow.  We are suppossed to get 1-3 inches and so all of the schools are dismissing early.  It hasn't even started yet. I understand dismissing early in ares that aren't used to snow, but come on. If there was actual snow laying on the roads, I wouldn't be grumpy.  I would understand. 

Now I'll have my 3 kids plus a neighbors 3 kids because she cant get off work in time.  So much for getting a cake decorated during naptime.  :( 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. Around here if there is supposed to snow, the schools are closed regardless. Gotta love the south.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

It makes sense in the south.  You aren't used to driving in this stuff and you aren't as prepared in terms of plows and salt trucks.  We've had this much in the mornings without having a delay, so I just don't get it. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

Sorry. Around here if there is supposed to snow, the schools are closed regardless. Gotta love the south.

kcm710
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I know I'm in PA too and just got the call. I'm from NY and the kids would still have school if it was blizzarding so this is new to me. It's our first winter here but it is ridiculous. Yesterday they had a 2 hour delay and there was barely a dusting on the ground. 

tsweetkissest
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I live in PA too and I seen the closings on tv. My daughter is only two but I still think it's crazy. My sister n brother go to school but their school hasn't closed yet
ambermarie2006
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Ours closed early for for RAIN last week, because there was a CHANCE it could sleet lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
This isn't the norm. :(

Quoting kcm710:

I know I'm in PA too and just got the call. I'm from NY and the kids would still have school if it was blizzarding so this is new to me. It's our first winter here but it is ridiculous. Yesterday they had a 2 hour delay and there was barely a dusting on the ground. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rach0307
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
That's crazy! I grew up in the north, and we had school unless there was too much snow to clear the main roads or there was intense ice storms. Even if the side roads couldn't be cleared, we would have to walk to a main road to catch the bus to school, lol. Now, I live in the south, and we're expected to get 1-2 inches of snow, but the public schools aren't closing early (only extracuricular activities are cancelled).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceLoveZ
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Ppl get such twisted panties over snow some times! I live in the snow belt in Ohio, and since I live in Ohio, I am well aware that when winter rolls around that I will have to drive in it and deal with it. Every year people get all freaked out and upset over it, it's like seriously? It's not our first rodeo! The ppl that act that way are the ones that make driving in winter conditions dangerous.

Caitlinsmom09
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM
They are dismissing early here in va and we're supposed to get maybe an inch. Crazy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I know what you mean. I got the kids ready for school and I drove them there to find out that school was cancelled. I'm in Virginia and they weren't calling for snow until later today and we aren't suppose to get much but they cancelled school. My kids have been helping me clean up our basement so it has actually been a productive day here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN