Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Traveling with newborn?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, So I am about 35 weeks along and am due march 3rd. My family has historically been early so im planning on anywhere from mid Feb. on. I was just wondering if any of you have experience or advice on traveling with your newborn. My family owns a place at Lake Tahoe (Calfornia) and we always plan big family trips up there. There is a big trip planned when the baby will only be a few weeks old and we would love to go but im not sure if we should. We will be driving up and its about 3 hours and staying for a few days. Assuming the baby is healthy and pretty easy i dont think it will be a problem but have any of you done something similar? Any tips? There will be other kids there and probably about 15 or so people in total. A lot will be skiing all day so it wont be too crazy. What do you think?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sj3starz
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
As a nb your lo won't be doing much besides sleeping eating and needing diaper changes! I say it would be good for you to get out and about. Be sure to not overload though if you are still healing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Yup! When my dd was 4 weeks we traveled from Chicago to central PA. It's a 12 hour drive. She slept most of the time. I formula fed so she just had bottles in her carseat...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I didn't, but I have friends who have.  They just made sure baby was comfortable, had a pacifier or they were nursing at take off/touch down,e tc.

Quoting SFsupermommy:

Hi, So I am about 35 weeks along and am due march 3rd. My family has historically been early so im planning on anywhere from mid Feb. on. I was just wondering if any of you have experience or advice on traveling with your newborn. My family owns a place at Lake Tahoe (Calfornia) and we always plan big family trips up there. There is a big trip planned when the baby will only be a few weeks old and we would love to go but im not sure if we should. We will be driving up and its about 3 hours and staying for a few days. Assuming the baby is healthy and pretty easy i dont think it will be a problem but have any of you done something similar? Any tips? There will be other kids there and probably about 15 or so people in total. A lot will be skiing all day so it wont be too crazy. What do you think?

jb0520
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I just drive across country with a 2 week old!! 3 hrs would be sooooo easy!!! Dr told me not to fly and we had to move for a job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Baby will probably be sleeping the majority of the trip. If YOU are feeling up to the trip, I say go for it. And while everyone will be out in the cold, make sure everyone stays CLEAN around baby so baby can stay healthy! Have fun!

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Young babies are usually great travelers :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
My biggest worry is the baby getting sick. It will still be flu season. I wouldn't want to take that risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

i would be careful mainly because its a nasty cold and flu season, otherwise....a place for baby to sleep, food readily available and clothes to match the weather and you should be fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)