Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Cloth-diapering Mamas! I have a question for you! PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 21 Replies

I have been trying to cloth diaper my son, but I have one frustration. Often when he poops, it spills out the side and then I not only have a diaper to clean, but then often a cover and sometimes the onesie. Is that just the hazard of cloth diapering, or is there a way to avoid this? All tips and help are greatly appreciated!

Without them, life would be meaningless.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Not a cloth diapering momma but is the diaper the right size? Is it too big?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeninaBallerina
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Have you tried using a different brand of diaper and/or plastic cover thingy?? 

cnlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I am brand new to cloth diapering, but I would rec joining cuties with cloth booties, they are an awesome group! Anyhow, no that isn't normal. How old is your son, weight, and what type of diaper are you using?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama.farmer
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM

It's a prefold, and I put it on almost like they did in the old days, with safety pins holding the sides, and then a cover on top with no parts of the prefold sticking out.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Not a cloth diapering momma but is the diaper the right size? Is it too big?

mama.farmer
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Is there something different between prefolds? I wasn't aware those came in different styles between brands. I basically got the cheapest ones I could find because it's a miracle I could talk him into letting me do this at all, even though he was cloth-diapered. He'll be gone while DS goes through most of his diapering time so he really doesn't care.

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

mama.farmer
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Thanks for the rec! He's almost 4 months, about 14 lbs, and I'm using Econobums. I told a PP that I picked that brand because of the bargain and the fact that I'm shocked I could talk DH into letting me do this, but because he'll be gone for most of this year, he didn't really care if I wanted to cloth diaper, as long as I do all diaper changes when he's in them.

Quoting cnlsmommy:

I am brand new to cloth diapering, but I would rec joining cuties with cloth booties, they are an awesome group! Anyhow, no that isn't normal. How old is your son, weight, and what type of diaper are you using?

cnlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Yes! There's a big difference! Even the "expensive" ones are only about $1.50 each. Sounds like you have the right size though. This is partly a you get what you pay for situation.

Quoting mama.farmer:

Is there something different between prefolds? I wasn't aware those came in different styles between brands. I basically got the cheapest ones I could find because it's a miracle I could talk him into letting me do this at all, even though he was cloth-diapered. He'll be gone while DS goes through most of his diapering time so he really doesn't care.

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

bpryce
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
With prefolds i do a "jelly roll" fold, you can youtube it. You basically roll the sides in towards babies bottom. Then you kinda have a barrier/wall to hold the poop in.
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Sounds like your diaper needs adjusting. It shouldn't leak like that. I never had problems with the poop just during the night it would leak from pee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I hadn't thought of this! OP make sure your cover is a actually a cover! There are some diapers that have to have an extra diaper cover. What brand are you using?

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)