Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

what would you do

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 12 Replies
me and df had all of our stuff moved out of our apartment on the 31st of december. I texted the landlord as soon as i locked the door telling him we were done and when and where he wanted to meet to exchange keys and my deposit money. It wasnt until the 3rd when i head from him... Texting him everyday. He told me he would go look at the apartment in the next couple days and then get ahold of me about the deposit. Well wednesday the next week i started texting him again. At least every other day if not every day. Well i finally get a text back tuesday and he said hell have the check this weekend. Told me where to pick it up today. Well the person who he said would have my check today knows nothing about it. It is the 26th. I still dont have my deposit and i am getting very angry. I informed him on the 3rd of december that i was moving out. I still dont have my money. And no real sign ill be getting it soon. My deposit was only $200 but still. I need that money. I needed it on the first ! What is my next step?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I am not sure, but good luck

Beauty91805
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
You should have called him not text him. And can't you just go see him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Start threatening him with small claims court. Maybe that will get his ass in gear. Send him a registered letter saying this is the last time u are aking for it, next will be court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I dont see him answering a phone call any quicker than a text.

He really wasnt a great landlord. It took a month to get a fire extinguisher in the place. The toilet and sinks were leaking. And it didnt matter whether I called or texted, I never got answers, and they never got fixed. It took me 3 weeks to get him to even turn the heat on for atleast night time !!

When i moved in the walls were crap (paint pealing off and filthy) and the carpets hadnt been cleaned in over 5 years (i know someone who lived there 7 years ago and their messes were still on the floor!). When I moved in I CLEANED the wallas and repainted them white. I cleaned the carpets and instead of the white carpet being multi colored with red, pink, blue, brown, and black stains, and the carpet jsut being brown from being so dirty, they were white with 2 or 3 LIGHT brown stains that I absolutely could not get out. And they were the only stains I had to scrub at ! The rest came up with the carpet cleaner. I was not reimbursed for the paint i bought or the work I did, or the cleaner I bought for the carpets. 

And I have no idea where he lives or where he works. He owns a music store as well and that is where I was required to take the rent money. I never handed it to him directly.

Quoting Beauty91805:

You should have called him not text him. And can't you just go see him?

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

i thought about this, but wasnt sure if it was worth it for $200. Ive never had to do it before. But yeah.....

Quoting erin708:

Start threatening him with small claims court. Maybe that will get his ass in gear. Send him a registered letter saying this is the last time u are aking for it, next will be court.

Ameretto13
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to a lawyer... There are lawyers in every state that are low-income lawyers (I don't know you, or your situation and I'm NOT saying you're low income) that will help, or at least give advice on how to, get your landlord to follow the law. Also, go to your city/town hall and get a copy of your tenants rights. It will explain your rights to you, and if he broke any of your rights (even ones you weren't aware of at the time) when you go see a lawyer, you can bring everything up to them... I'm NOT saying blackmail the guy. I know that in Maine a security deposit has to go into a seperate account with your name on it and cannot be used for any reason at all. Then when you move out they are allowed to keep part or all of it if there are damages to the property... Did you take pics when you moved in/out? Did you fill out an "inventory" list, a list of issues with the apartment, when you moved in? Most landlords, at least the ones here in Maine, will have you do that. Good luck op!

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Well there is no guarantee you will even get it back. Depends what cleaning/repairs need to be done. Last time we moved it took our landlord about 30 days to give us our deposit. They did all the cleaning and small repairs first. GL!
jesuschild06
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM

the place literally is better now than it was when i moved in. if i had had the money i would have fixed all the repairs myself. i doubt he has even been at the apartment since i moved out. he never even looked at the apartment before i moved in (he told me himself). he cant use my deposit to fix the toilet and sinks that i told him about the week i moved in. and if he tried taking some of it for repainting the kitchen (i painted light gray rather than white) i would fight for that because on dec 3rd when i texted him we were moving out, i asked if he wanted me to repaint it white or not. asked him a few times throughout the month and i never got a response. It wouldnt have cost me anything to repaint it because i had extra white paint left over from painting the rest of the apartment white.

but i do get what you are saying. but the place was spostless, everything sanitized, and if there are things hes wanting to use my deposit for he should be telling me now.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Well there is no guarantee you will even get it back. Depends what cleaning/repairs need to be done. Last time we moved it took our landlord about 30 days to give us our deposit. They did all the cleaning and small repairs first. GL!

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Check the laws in your state. They only have so much time to give it back, and sometimes if they have no reason to with hold it, you can sue for twice the deposit.
Kayla060812
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM
text is good because if you have to go to court you have the convo. I would continue to text until you get what you want
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN