Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

He eats WHAT! Do your kids eat that?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 40 Replies

Had a ARD meeting over my son last Tuesday.

To make a long story short, he has super sensitive emotions linked back to gifted in talented.. It's called gifted and talented emotions something or another..lol

so, since Kindergarten, we've had yearly meetings on mapping out the best plan to help him.

He has GREATLY improved. BUT, they want to do a re test on behavior(licensed psychologist and all that jazz come in to do so)to map a new plan.

He has basically improved enough to have out grown the old plan.

Anywho.

I got a LOT of paper work and in part of it, it listed the behavior concerns.

Overly sensitive, emotional outbursts when he doesn't get his way, self talk(from me, I am a adult and I still do this..I get stared at in public..lol), stubborn in controversy, perceives events as unfair, difficulty adjusting to new things,

and,

caring for his material..then in parenthesis. (will eat school supplies)

DIES LAUGHING.. Yes I am laughing..lol

That whole last line was just hilarious..

so I wonder..does your child eat his/her school supplies?

I mean, I ate crayons when I was little.

He is in 2nd grade by the way.

save the date

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meg2011425
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM
My son eats crayons, colored pencils and marker tips. He's turning 4 on Wednesday and he's having a neurological psychological evaluation done soon. It's odd yes but he does. Lol! I try telling him if he stops I'll give him gum to chew or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

If my DD does......I'm not aware of it.

MommieSDW
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Lol my little one will eat crayons if not watched well enough. 

Other than that, I can honestly say my kids don't eat school supplies.
My son eats straight Sauerkraut. I feel like it's kinda the same thing haha. 

Robe739IsBack
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
LOL! There's almost always a silly question on any medical form!

I filled out paperwork in order to have the hospital release her from the NICU. The heading @ the TOP of the sheet clearly said "NICU" yet, one of the questions was: "Is it possible that the patient is pregnant?"

I'm like: O.o Say WHAT? Ummm.... Yes, it is likely that my newborn is pregnant. :/ DERP!

Anyways, no. My kids don't eat any school supplies, but it makes me wonder if this is a condition linked to those people on that one show.... What's the name of it? When adults eat chalk & couch cushions, & belly button lint & shit like that? O.o

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this

on my kids medical paperwork, end of visit summary and one of the questions they ask (i noticed this on my 9 day olds paperwork) they ask 'Smoker? If so how often?' I always want to put yes, 3 packs a day

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

I filled out paperwork in order to have the hospital release her from the NICU. The heading @ the TOP of the sheet clearly said "NICU" yet, one of the questions was: "Is it possible that the patient is pregnant?"

I'm like: O.o Say WHAT? Ummm.... Yes, it is likely that my newborn is pregnant. :/ DERP!

Anyways, no. My kids don't eat any school supplies, but it makes me wonder if this is a condition linked to those people on that one show.... What's the name of it? When adults eat chalk & couch cushions, & belly button lint & shit like that? O.o

smartmommy1050
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
pica

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vickiheitzler
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Mmmm I love sauerkraut!! I eat it right out of the can.

Quoting MommieSDW:

Lol my little one will eat crayons if not watched well enough. 

Other than that, I can honestly say my kids don't eat school supplies.
My son eats straight Sauerkraut. I feel like it's kinda the same thing haha. 

Beauty91805
by Jazmine on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
My dd is in second grade and does not eat anything that isn't food. I asked her just to see her reaction and she gave me the crazy face and said " you're crazy!" Lol!
little.worthen
by Tessie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

no but i constantly catch him chewing on the darts for his nerf guns..

lenoxclan
by Lenox on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't know the name, but I know what condition you speak of..

I don't think that it is what Logan has. They wanted to test him for Autism, this was one of the many reasons. But, after talking with us, have decided to start with normal behavior testing.

99% of his issues(that they listed)can be explained away by either his intelligence level or his age..shrugs.

I don't want them labeling him just to make themselves more comfortable..kwim?

The kid is super smart. I've gotten articles from psychologist, given to me by the school, listing things linked back to gifted kids, and he is dead on for all of them.

One of the things they gave to us in the past was this

Emotional intensity is positively correlated with intelligence and so the higher the intellectual level, the more emotionally intense a gifted child will be. Emotional intensity is expressed by the gifted through a wide range of feelings, attachments. compassion, heightened sense of responsibility and scrupulous self-examination.

And this

Psychomotor overexcitability can mean extreme need for activity and responsiveness to physical stimulus.( LOGAN to a T. He even responds better to learning if he is allowed to fidget while he is being taught.)

Sensory overexcitability can range from discomfort with tags on clothing, socks or food textures to noise and smell sensitivity.(Again Logan, this is a kid who has puked from grandpa farting. Will not eat a wide range of foods due to texture, I could go on)

Imaginational overexcitability can mean a child takes on a fantasy character for long periods of time, may have very vivid dreams and enjoy writing poetry, stories, drama etc.(taking on the fantasy character..he can spend ALL day doing this..Suddenly the school is concerned and this is one of the things that concern them:(..)

Intellectual overexcitability can mean intense enjoyment comes from solving puzzles, learning knowledge and arguing like lawyers. Can also mean strict adherence to rules and insistance of same for others. Enjoys comprehending/discovering systems.(his arguing is one of their issues with him, I think because he can out argue them! LOL)

Emotional overexcitability can mean extreme sensitivity to the emotions of others, deep empathy, intense reactions to everyday events. May cry easily. (and this one is why they want to test him for autism. )

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

save the date

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)