Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be able to...?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 18 Replies
share a kitchen?

To elaborate, we moved into a house that use to be a duplex with my boyfriends sister, her husband and their son. We each have our,own sides of the house (living room, bathrooms, bedrooms) the house connects both sides from the mud room. We have a "kitchen" on our side but no appliances, so for now we share the kitchen on their side. For breakfast & lunch we eat separate but for dinner most of the time we all eat together.

I dont mind sharing with them its just when other guests come over thats kind of getting to me. Usually during the day her mil babysits and often brings their nephew. And he will eat a lot.. Since we share all of the food we purchase is there and its upsetting when I go to get something for my pregnant self or my son and its gone...

I feel bad getting upset because like I said I dont mind sharing with everyone that lives here but we're not buying food for everyone who visits daily and we can't afford to. Also I get WIC for myself and my son every month. Since I have no choice but to have our perishables over there, should I automatically be obligated to share with everyone who visits? (their visitors, not ours) Please respectful replys.. I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and need positivity not negative.

And would you be able to share a kitchen? or would it make you crazy?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovelyladybump
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Nope. Sorry that you have to share one.
I did it once and it drove me crazy.
Ameretto13
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I don't think I could do it... In the situation we're living in right now, I do, but I help buy the food for everyone in the family (whether they live here or not) along with the owner. I do it because the family member that DOESN'T live here also helps with food. I'm staying with my exh's father because of a chain of events but usually I don't cook. He's kinda picky about his kitchen, lol. He doesn't mind if I DO cook and will even offer to help me, but I just stay out of his way because he figures out AMAZING meals as he goes. He makes a grocery list and when I have the money I go and pick it up. If I don't have the money its ok too because he'll have me or dh take him to the store to get what he wants/needs. And my exh and his gf bring food over too, especially on days they're going to be here for supper. The days they're here, she and I will plan a meal, get everything together and cook it so Dad doesn't have to. We work together but honestly, I prefer having my own kitchen so I know where everything is and if it isn't where its supposed to be or I run out of something I can only be mad at myself or dh... Yes, my dh cooks (really well I might add). When it comes to sweets (cake, cookies, brownies, etc.) I make those here, but only at request... And usually if I make them Dad picks up exactly what he wants... That way it comes out to his liking... When I have my own kitchen, I change recipes so that my kids aren't getting as much "junk" as the recipe calls for... eg. I replace chocolate with carob, it has way less sugar than chocolate and doesn't taste any different. white flour with gluten free, same with pasta and bread... I use half the sugar. Egg whites instead of whole eggs... etc. (Some one is prolly sitting there thinking I went off the deep end... I haven't I assure you... Message me if you want an explaination... Lol.) And there are things I just don't bring into the house at all, like buttermilk, peaches, poptarts... 

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I shared with my roomate, we established boundaries and there were no problems.  But unfortunately, since it's technically her kitchen, she may feel that you're obligated to share.  Are you planning on getting your own appliances soon? If not you should have a talk with her about it or it won't get any better

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

No. I hate having roommates and sharing constantly. I don't mind sharing with guests who come over but all the time gets annoying. Sorry you have to deal with that right now. Is there anyway you can get some appliances? Like used on craigslist or something? GL!

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I'd be labeling my stuff if i were you. I could never share a kitchen with anyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Go to craigslist and look for a fridge and invest in a toaster over and hotplate.

MeeshMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I would go nuts even sharing a space with other people. I am sorry maybe you can politely ask who drank your milk next time it disappears or is empty. Maybe you can buy a mini fridge to store your more important things in.

VictoriousTory
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Eih... I HATED having roomates for that reason... they eat your food, they use your laundry detergent and shampoo or shower gel... always pissed me off. I would be mad if I was sharing food with not just them... I dont think that would bother me too much... but their GUESTS... no. Unless they are going to pitch in for food, its rude of them to think that anything in the fridge is theirs for the taking... ALL the time... I mean sometimes, ok... But not every week! I would get a label maker and label your stuff... ir talk to your sister's family and tell them the situation... maybe they don't realize that they are taking YOUR food and you arent in a position right now to share as much as you would like. 

I also saw on The Chew.. lol... that there is this cage like thing that you can keep in your fridge that has a combo key lock... maybe if talking and labeling things doesn't solve the problem you can invest in that. :) 

VictoriousTory
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I hate buttermilk too :) Apparently... even tho the name may make it seem otherwise... buttermilk has a lower fat content than regular milk... but I will only use it for baking or cooking.... the smell of it makes me wanna throw up lol

Quoting Ameretto13:

I don't think I could do it... In the situation we're living in right now, I do, but I help buy the food for everyone in the family (whether they live here or not) along with the owner. I do it because the family member that DOESN'T live here also helps with food. I'm staying with my exh's father because of a chain of events but usually I don't cook. He's kinda picky about his kitchen, lol. He doesn't mind if I DO cook and will even offer to help me, but I just stay out of his way because he figures out AMAZING meals as he goes. He makes a grocery list and when I have the money I go and pick it up. If I don't have the money its ok too because he'll have me or dh take him to the store to get what he wants/needs. And my exh and his gf bring food over too, especially on days they're going to be here for supper. The days they're here, she and I will plan a meal, get everything together and cook it so Dad doesn't have to. We work together but honestly, I prefer having my own kitchen so I know where everything is and if it isn't where its supposed to be or I run out of something I can only be mad at myself or dh... Yes, my dh cooks (really well I might add). When it comes to sweets (cake, cookies, brownies, etc.) I make those here, but only at request... And usually if I make them Dad picks up exactly what he wants... That way it comes out to his liking... When I have my own kitchen, I change recipes so that my kids aren't getting as much "junk" as the recipe calls for... eg. I replace chocolate with carob, it has way less sugar than chocolate and doesn't taste any different. white flour with gluten free, same with pasta and bread... I use half the sugar. Egg whites instead of whole eggs... etc. (Some one is prolly sitting there thinking I went off the deep end... I haven't I assure you... Message me if you want an explaination... Lol.) And there are things I just don't bring into the house at all, like buttermilk, peaches, poptarts... 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Noooo way!

I could never share any of my space, I'd go nuts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)