Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms
Ok so today will be my first day of quitting (cold turkey) and I'm honestly terrified!! Any helpful tips?! Plz help me out ladies...thanks!!! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
cupcake_mom
by KT on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM
My sis in law got her fave hard candies. and every time she wanted a cig she would eat a candy. like jolly ranchers. sometimes she would even go outside with my bro when he would smoke and eat her candy. she was 100% done in about a month! Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daydreamer86
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Apollo e cig helped me. Its amazing
tpat75
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Good for you!! I thought chewing on straws helped. and suger free candy! Good luck, you can do it!

sj3starz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Good for you going cold turkey! It has the highest success rate for quitting. Aides get rid of the cigarrette (unless you are using an e-cig) but keep your addiction going strong. BAD IDEA. LOL.

Anyway. You can find a ton of tips and info on whyquit.com and if you go onto the android/iphone/bluestacks app called quitnow. It also has acheivements (health and others) Theres a great chat on there too that people will give you great tips.

NEVER give up. You may stumble, you may fall, but never quit quitting! One day it will stick. Not to say you shouldn't truely try THIS time. :-)

Good things to curb cravings are drinking ice water through a straw, "in for 7 out for 11" (counts for deep breathing), play with something in your hands, eat, chew cinnamon or mint gum, go on a chat (quitnow or other support group), call a friend, or take a nap.

Let everyone know that you are quitting and to not offer, and not do it around you.

Honestly, it helped me that I was a home-body for the first week.

Know that it's normal to get cold like symptoms while quitting. It's your body's way of expelling the poison you have been taking in for so long. Also, you may feel like an insomniac due to the nicotine no longer draining you energy. This is a GOOD thing. Your body will regulate itself. Dreams/nightmares are common too, especially ones of smoking.

Good luck and if you need more advice or tips I'm here to talk to! :-)

You can do this!

Mommy0505
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I found that sucking on a pen when I was craving really helped!! Even pretending it was a cigarette (the deep breathing and forming my lips just like when you exhale) helped!

Also, know what normally triggers your urges and STAY away! My mom smokes most when she's bored. She needs to keep herself busy more often in order to avoid smoking "just cyz"

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jyofray
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Good on you!!! tips? I can't really give you any I'm only on week two myself cold turkey. Fight the urges. Try to stay busy? You can do this!

liams_mama12
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Good luck !!!! That's a pretty big step.... but why cold turkey ?? I honeslty think thats the first step that leads to rebellion. Do you smoke when you're stressed ? Because most people trying to quit go back when they are under stress. I would try patches, and gum :) That seemed to work for my father in law. Only problem is, he's addicted to gum haha but its wayy better than hurting yourself :) 

LuvsHopesDreams
by Lindsey on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Hey, how are you doing today?  I've been trying to quit, too, because my husband and I want to have another little one. :)  My first pregancy was a surprise three years ago, and I hadn't at all been planning to quit.  I tried cold turkey the instant I found out, but it took me a couple weeks before I was able to put them down totally.  Unfortunately, I started again two weeks after my son was born.  I tried again cold turkey this past November and only lasted a day.  On January 2nd I quit using the nicotine gum (and later an e-cig).  I let stress and the fact that my husband and many family members and co-workers were smoking get to me after twelve days.  :(  I wish you a lot of luck!

So, how's it going for you?

momof2girls108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Just an update...I'm going on the end of day 3 and haven't had a cigarette yet!! Thank you for all the support ladies...I appreciate it!!! :-)
momof2girls108
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Day 4....still no cigarette!!!! I feel amazing and am so proud of myself!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN