Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

bringing a new baby home

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

so i just found out that im pregnant again and i was wondering if anyone know how easy or hard it will be to bring the new baby home...if there is ways to get my 1 year old daughter ready to have a baby brother or sister around?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2almost
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Keep your oldest as involved in the pregnancy as she can be: take her to u/s's, let herhear the heartbeat, pick out new baby clothes, let her help pick baby's name, etc,,
We also allowed our oldest (6 at the time, now 8) to stay in the delivery room so he could hear his baby brother's first cry etc.....
He will never forget it and felt like such a huge help! Not alot of Mom's will do that but we don't regret it at all. Just keep the oldest as involved as possible and things will work out great! Try not to stress so much hun! :-)
Steph.Rose
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM

well i dont think she will even understand whats going on she is only 14months old but thanks for your advice :)

mrsbrand
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Keep your 1 yr old involved. My DD will be barely past her 2nd birthday when this baby is due. Right now she is 19 months and loves to hug and kiss the baby. I talk to her about baby and about her being a big sister in a few months. We also got her a baby doll for her to play with too. 

Momof2almost
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
She may be really young but she will understand at least a little bit. They catch on to more than we realize. ;-)
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this
At her age? No. Just make sure that is you need her out of the crib and in to a toddler bed, that you do it long before the baby gets here, so the transition isn't to tough for her. Don't try to force her to potty train just so That you won't have two in diapers. It probably won't work and the two of you will only end up pissed off at each other.
LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I think this will come naturally as she sees your tummy grow and hears you say to be careful with your tummy bc baby is in there. As baby things and showers happen. I always let mine make a single trip up to the hospital too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not much help in this department. My son was 4.5 when I brought my new daughter home. He was attached to her immediately. She's now 7 months old and they're best friends still haha

Keep her involved-have her 'help you' change Baby's diaper, get Baby dressed (pick out Baby's clothes together), and even before Baby comes, have your DD help set up  the baby's things. And ALWAYS make sure you still get time alone with your 1yo, same for Daddy. Get her excited to be a big sister!

sj3starz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone on here would tell me not to even bother, but honestly I'm trying to prep my dd for April when my dd2 is going to make her appearence. Dd1 will be 18 months. I keep telling her that she's a big girl and if she hits my belly or tries to jump on me I tell her that "there's a baby in mommy's tummy" and to be gentle. I also have been working on getting her into a big girl bed (started a couple weeks ago with only naps at first). She is now sleeping in a twin bed EVERYNIGHT! She knows that cribs are "for babies" as are "binkies"

OH btw I'm switching from the crib now so that when my dd2 is ready to go into the crib, dd1 wont be jealous that it's her old bed.

I've heard it is good to work with a baby doll with your little one so that they understand what is going to be going on a little more. You can show how you will feed, and where the baby will sleep (when/if you have things set up), etc etc.

I have not personally done this yet, but am going to give it to her as a big sister gift. That way *hopefully* I can take care of "my baby" and she can take care of "her baby"

kayteebug93
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd say keep her in her crib as long as possible! My friend had a baby when her son was just turning 2. He's 3 and is just now transitioning to a toddler bed. At least she'll have a "safe" place to go when you need to shower or something when the new baby comes along. (That is unless she's trying to climb out) but my son is 17m and no where near ready to moving out of the crib! That'd be one more thing to worry about imo

I do agree w the potty training though!

Quoting TempestRayne:

At her age? No. Just make sure that is you need her out of the crib and in to a toddler bed, that you do it long before the baby gets here, so the transition isn't to tough for her. Don't try to force her to potty train just so That you won't have two in diapers. It probably won't work and the two of you will only end up pissed off at each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nford2012
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest daughter was a year old when I found out I was pregnant again (found out the day before her bday) and when I was preparing and went to the hospital to have her sister I got a new born baby doll with the hospital braclet and all to give her to take home after she came there to meet her new sister so she could take her baby home just like mommy was going to take a baby home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN