Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

so my 1 year old

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

is a thumb sucker and it doesnt bother me but hes always got it in his mouth and i recently started to notice that his hole thumb and the skin in between his index finger is all cracked and peeling and i was wondering hat could i put on it to heal it that wont make him sick if he does suck on it ? or how do i make him stop from sucking on his thumb  ?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CJsMommy92
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Mavala Stop. It's like nail polish you put on their finger nail. It tastes nasty and isn't dangerous. Find it on Amazon

erin708
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM
My 6 yr old is a thumb sucker and my 3yo sucks her pointer finger. That stuff is nasty I bought it for my older dd. It smells like nail polish. Don't know how its safe. One step ahead has a thumb guard I bought. It works good. My dd out grew her so we can't use it anymore.

Quoting CJsMommy92:

Mavala Stop. It's like nail polish you put on their finger nail. It tastes nasty and isn't dangerous. Find it on Amazon

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sashamom27159
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

what about lansinoh its a cream that i used when breatfeeding for sore cracked nipples and its compleatly safe for baby i bought mine at babiesrus

Ameretto13
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

you can get lansinoh just about anywhere. Any place that has a pharmacy should have it or the equivelent to it. Its a little pricey, depending on where you go, but its definately worth it. I pick it up for my dd because she sucks her thumb too. She complains that it tastes funny though...There's also Madela(?) nipple cream.   Vaseline, in really small amounts can help, I don't recommend using it often though... 

http://www.mamapedia.com/article/infant-who-has-sucked-her-thumb-raw

http://www.livestrong.com/article/553714-how-to-treat-cracked-skin-caused-by-a-babys-thumb-sucking/   (I really like the solutions in this one...)

Quoting sashamom27159:

what about lansinoh its a cream that i used when breatfeeding for sore cracked nipples and its compleatly safe for baby i bought mine at babiesrus

StarryRain
by Rain on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I sucked my thumb until elementary school, when my orthodontist put a "thumb guard" in. Apparently, I am a tongue thruster, and I have an oral fixation. It retrained my tongue to not push against my teeth when I swallow, and it broke my thumb sucking habit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cassidy3151
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM

thank you i read the sites and i think i may try the oatmeal first and see if that works

Quoting Ameretto13:

you can get lansinoh just about anywhere. Any place that has a pharmacy should have it or the equivelent to it. Its a little pricey, depending on where you go, but its definately worth it. I pick it up for my dd because she sucks her thumb too. She complains that it tastes funny though...There's also Madela(?) nipple cream.   Vaseline, in really small amounts can help, I don't recommend using it often though... 

http://www.mamapedia.com/article/infant-who-has-sucked-her-thumb-raw

http://www.livestrong.com/article/553714-how-to-treat-cracked-skin-caused-by-a-babys-thumb-sucking/   (I really like the solutions in this one...)

Quoting sashamom27159:

VictoriousTory
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:56 AM

This is kind of out of the box.... and I'm really not sure its recommended.... but when my dog was a puppy we put bitter apple extract on things he would chew on... and he stopped chewing on them.... its all natural but tastes really icky... and it never gave the puppy any digestive issues.... I am pretty sure it wouldnt give a baby any either... 

Cassidy3151
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

thanks ill look into it !

Quoting VictoriousTory:

This is kind of out of the box.... and I'm really not sure its recommended.... but when my dog was a puppy we put bitter apple extract on things he would chew on... and he stopped chewing on them.... its all natural but tastes really icky... and it never gave the puppy any digestive issues.... I am pretty sure it wouldnt give a baby any either... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)