• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poop Question!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

The past few times my 3 year old has gone poop, there is blood when I wipe his hiney... I'm sure it isn't a huge deal, it was just really alarming to see at first!  Have any of you experienced this?  Just pushing too hard maybe?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MeninaBallerina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Is it bright red or is it dark red to almost black? Could be he is straining too hard, that can cause bright red blood and is completely OK. If it is dark red to black it is a sign of internal bleeding and he needs to see a doctor. 

MomOfNolan
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply!  It is bright red, so maybe just try to give him some prune juice to soften the stool a little? 

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

Is it bright red or is it dark red to almost black? Could be he is straining too hard, that can cause bright red blood and is completely OK. If it is dark red to black it is a sign of internal bleeding and he needs to see a doctor. 

MeninaBallerina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Couldn't hurt. Sometimes when the stool is just too big red blood can occur, too. Of course if it keeps going on for an extended period of time wih no breaks you may want to check with the doctor but I think your issue is somewhat common. 

Quoting MomOfNolan:

Thanks for the reply!  It is bright red, so maybe just try to give him some prune juice to soften the stool a little? 

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

MomOfNolan
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!!  I'll grab some today at Trader Joe's!  We just have a family history of issues in that department... any change makes me a little nervous! 

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

Couldn't hurt. Sometimes when the stool is just too big red blood can occur, too. Of course if it keeps going on for an extended period of time wih no breaks you may want to check with the doctor but I think your issue is somewhat common. 

Quoting MomOfNolan:

Quoting MeninaBallerina:

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Does he have big poops? Could be from straining and pushing.

MomOfNolan
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Not bigger than normal, really the blood is the only added change.  I'm think I'm going to try to add some extra fiber to his diet and lower his milk/cheese intake and see if it gets better.  I'm sure he's just got a little fissure or something. 

Thanks for the reply :)

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

Does he have big poops? Could be from straining and pushing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)