Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Cold Weather Car Seat Safety Tips You Need to Know Now: Part 2 - Did you know these tips?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

Cold Weather Car Seat Safety Tips You Need to Know Now: Part 2 (IMAGE)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 30, 2013

windshield wipersJust as scary for parents of toddlers as it is for parents of babies: Car seat safety mistakes are easy to make, especially during the winter. Simply buckling your kid in the car seat still wearing a coat can have lethal consequences, as thick, puffy jackets prevent the straps from tightening against your child's body in the event of a crash. Then there's the whole issue of car seat installation -- as in, most of us fail to install them properly (even if we think otherwise!).

Don't stress: As we did for babies, we've drawn out exactly what you need to do to keep your toddler safe and warm on-the-go. Board-certified pediatrician Dr. Alisa Baer, better known as the The Car Seat Lady, helped The Stir develop these drawings and examined them from start to finish to ensure accuracy and safety.

Following in the footsteps of her mother, Debbi Baer, RN -- the original "car seat lady" -- Dr. Baer has spent the past 15 years trying to change the statistic that car crashes remain the leading cause of death and injury to children.

toddler car seat

Did this teach you anything new about car seat safety during the winter?

Also see: Cold Weather Car Seat Safety Tips (For Babies)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BrittSam2011
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

If you tighten the carseat straps (5point harness) after you buckle them in and they're wearing a coat, how can the child not be protected in the event of a crash? We don't live anywhere cold enough to need one of those big puffy jackets, I'm just curious. I put them in sweaters before they get in the car.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I am well informed on the safety seats. I live in ND, so it is definitely cold enough here to implement the safety instructions.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I've read that coats compress in the event of a crash and there could then be enough slack between the straps and the child to cause injury.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

If you tighten the carseat straps (5point harness) after you buckle them in and they're wearing a coat, how can the child not be protected in the event of a crash? We don't live anywhere cold enough to need one of those big puffy jackets, I'm just curious. I put them in sweaters before they get in the car.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Bulky coats compress in the force of a crash, leaving the harness loose enough to eject the child from the seat.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

No and doesn't work for us.  All my kids coats have hoods so it doesn't work.  I have them wear a light jacket and have a hat and throw a blanket over them.  Also my kids already ERF.  We also keep our kids in 5pt harnesses till 65lbs. 

moogsmom03
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Quote:

Did this teach you anything new about car seat safety during the winter?

Nope.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)