Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with this???

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

I came a across an article today that listed appropriate ages that children show do certain chores.. just wondering what your takes on this are::

Toddler (ages 2-3)
- Pick up/put away toys
- Unload the dishwasher (silverware, plastic cups, Tupperware)
- Dust with feather duster/microfiber rag
- Swiffer/sweep the floor
- Help move clothes from washer to dryer
- Make bed

Preschooler (ages 4-5)
- All previous chores
- Take out recycling
- Set/clear table
- Wash dishes with supervision
- Match socks
- Weed
- Feed pets

Early Elementary (ages 6-8)
- All previous chores
- Meal prep (wash produce, find ingredients, simple cutting)
- Hang out/fold laundry
- Get mail
- Rake leaves

Elementary (ages 9-11)
- All previous chores
- Make simple meals
- Take garbage/recycling to the curb
- Mop floors

Middle School (ages 12-14)
- All previous chores
- Make full meals/meal plan
- Clean out fridge/freezer

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/check-list-age-appropriate-chores-see-kid-stacks-023000564.html

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Definitely disagree with some of them. A 2-3 year old unloading a dishwasher?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I agree with it. My two year old doesnt do dishes though lol but the rest of it is on par with what we do...my 5 yo loves to wash dishes.
MaddieKate
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Thats what I was thinking too. I was 7 before I started unloading and loading the dishwasher. At that point I had a 2yr old brother and I KNOW he couldnt have done it.

Quoting Courtney610:

Casie.Lynne
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Didn't even finish reading them and I already disagree. Not that I disagree with a child doing something productive, but that's a bit much.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
It is on par with a lot of things I have my kids do, but my 9yearold just started helping me with that last year.

Quoting MaddieKate:

Thats what I was thinking too. I was 7 before I started unloading and loading the dishwasher. At that point I had a 2yr old brother and I KNOW he couldnt have done it.

Quoting Courtney610:

erinf28
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I feel like you should teach your kids young to do certain things and start young. My 2 year old puts her toys away(sometimes), puts her dishes in the sink, and likes helping me clean but I would never expect her to do it herself. I feel like parents are making their kids grow up quicker than they should. Yes, they should learn how to help out, but don't make them do it all. Their entire day should not be about the chores, but to have fun because the rest of their life they will do these things. I think it's just so the mom or dad can relax more, which I understand but to an extent. They forget the kids have so much homework anymore, and they do want to spend time with friends and have their own time to play. Especially when they are that young.

MistyMoo
by Amber on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM
If I had a dishwasher if let my dd help, but we don't. I wash by hand.

Quoting MaddieKate:

Quoting Courtney610:

MistyMoo
by Amber on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I agree with them. There no harm in allowing the to help as much as possible.
CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM

My oldest is 6 and I think he could/does many of those things. I wouldn't make him do all of them but my 2yr old helps with the dishes (hands me cups, plates), picks up his room and puts his bowl in the sink after eating.

My 4 year old can set the table and help with the dog. None of my kids are big enough to take the big bag to the trash but both older ones have gotten the bathroom trash and taken it out as well as the smaller recycling bag.

None of them have daily chores (other than their rooms) but for the most part I agree those ages can handle those things, my older 2 also clean the bathrooms bc they make it gross:) and my oldest also likes vacuuming,

ladymadrox
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I agree with most of it just not toddlers handling silverware, forks can tend to be sharp, and silverware does include knives, not to keen on my 2 year old messing with sharp objects. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)