Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and Religion

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this
I was wondering how the rest of you moms dealt with religion. Even though I am religious myself, I hate the idea of indoctrinating my kids into some faith they may or may not want to be part of and that may not be correct at all, so I'm waiting till they're 14 years old to talk to them about religion or let them go to any services. What do you think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I think children can benefit from being involved in a church from an early age.  It is part of the family culture if the family goes to a church for services or is involved with a church.   I grew up a pastors daughter and i was no forced to believe anything i do not believe.  As an adult i do not go to church but i still have my beliefs.  I miss that sense of community,

MMerrill
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I believe the same.  We are Christians and my son will be raised a Christian, if the day comes where he wants to research or experience other religions, that will be ok.  I can't say that I will be thrilled about it I will love him and support him just the same.  I belive that even though WE are making the choice to raise him this way, it's not like it will do any harm towards him...hopefully it will only further better him as a child and a person.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think children can benefit from being involved in a church from an early age.  It is part of the family culture if the family goes to a church for services or is involved with a church.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Simple-Beauty
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that children are VERY easily influenced, and telling a child that not living a certain way will result in an eternity in Hell, isn't leading them to faith in an acceptable way, it's fear mongering.

I don't think it's fair to introduce religion to children until their brains are more developed, and they can truly understand the scripture and apply it to their lives in logical and rational ways.

That said, we're not religious, but we will expose our children to various beliefs at an appropriate age, and allow them to decide what path is correct for themselves. We also teach our children to be tolerant and respectful of the beliefs of others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I agree, 100%

Quoting Simple-Beauty:

I think that children are VERY easily influenced, and telling a child that not living a certain way will result in an eternity in Hell, isn't leading them to faith in an acceptable way, it's fear mongering.

I don't think it's fair to introduce religion to children until their brains are more developed, and they can truly understand the scripture and apply it to their lives in logical and rational ways.

That said, we're not religious, but we will expose our children to various beliefs at an appropriate age, and allow them to decide what path is correct for themselves. We also teach our children to be tolerant and respectful of the beliefs of others.
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

im letting my children decide what they want to be. im a pagan, but that doesnt mean they have to believe/practice what i do. i will fully support them in whatever they chose to believe in.

Hanab818
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 2 and 10 months and right now they will go to the daycare during service. When they get into kindergarten they will move to the kids ministry but at that age they still are really just a day care type place. I do however want to send them to my church's private school only because they are better then the public schools. But when they enter middle school they will have the option of finding a new faith or staying, or even having no faith at all. But as it stands if I want to go to church the boys need to come with me.
bpryce
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Neither myself or my dh are religious, nor do we believe in god. However we do respect religion and understand that it is an extremely personal thing. One day when our kids begin asking questions or showing an interest in religion or god we will explain to them why some people believe and why we do not. We are also well educated in multiple religions so we plan on telling them about the basic structures of different religions. If they are interested in learning more we will embrace their choices and help where we can. I dont believe in forcing or scaring a child into any religion, i do not believe religion is for children period. It is for adults who need/seek guidance and answers.
luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I educated my dd on many religions as she was growing up, and now, at 8 years old, she decides she is going to go to the Lutheran Wed. School classes. Which is fine with me. As long as she is happy, I am happy.
lenoxclan
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My kids are to young for church..imo

I don't care for church. Judgemental asses who want to give you THEIR opinion on what the Bible means, and expect you to follow it.. Oh yeah, and please leave some money as you walk out the door..

seriously.

I like forming my own opinions about things.

I do believe in God. I think most of the Bible is bullshit written by man.. Yep, I said.. PLUS, I am reading the children's version to the kids right now. Because they are asking questions and while I don't mind reading the stories, I ask them what they think they mean and tell them their are no wrong answers.

Wanna know what I think? I think thus far, God is portrayed as a REALLY big asshole.. oh yeah, and that we are all inbred..

That is seriously how it sounds..Granted we are currently only on the old testament, and my die hard Christian of a mil(who is praying for me..religiously..haha)says that the love comes in the New Testament..

We will see..

JKronrod
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a bad idea to wait.  Having them participate in religious services and study a particular religion from the perspective of a believer gives them a "base" from which to judge other belief systems (I don't mean "judge" in the pejorative sense, but rather provides facts that allow for comparison).  I firmly believe that many -- although admittedly not all -- humans feel a need to experience "transcendence."  If a path for expressing this is provided at an early age a person who feels this need, in my opinion, is less likely to seek out that experience in dangerous ways (such as a cult).  The concept of being part of something "bigger" will not be a novelty.  I should add that just because you bring them up in a religion will not ensure that they stay believers.  Of my four children, all brought up as Jews, three are agnostic.  But that have a base -- they understand, and more importantly respect, religious belief in others.  If you are religious, don't be ashamed to express that belief to them.  It's not going to hurt them, and why would holding back an important part of yourself from your children be a good thing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)