Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

potty training and getting him to talk

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
My ds1 is 15 months and i dabbled with potty training a few months ago. He sat on it but now all he wants to do is play with it. I got him off diapers and on pullups now. Im trying to figure out some ways i can really get him trained. It would be so good if he coukd use the potty.

I try to get him to say potty or peepee,poopoo something like that. But he says things on his terms and rather whine and point. I work with his talking everyday. Its like he is stubborn. He does it then stops or just smiles because i know he knows certain words. He picks up on alot of things quick. And if he wants it he willtake you to it or point. Do all kids at this age do this?

Was it hard teaching your babies to be potty trained?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine was a late bloomer for potty training.   I wonder for your situation if printing out pictures of things would help communication when he does not or is not able to say the word.  He would bring you the picture of what he needs.    15 months is a bit early to try to start training for a child and boys have been said to be closer to 3 yrs old for completely potty training (no accidents at all).

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
15 months is still really early. I wouldn't stress about it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM
To be honest, I waited til age 2....my three things were: walking, talking, and understanding direction. It only took a couple weeks and they were completely night and day trained.

You might save yourself some frustration and wait a few more months and then go at it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaCryss20112
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I thought about pics too. If he is pointing for ex, if he knows he food or toys are in a certain room he will either go in that room and if reachable get it or point. I woukd say do you want your food, he will start talking, his own little baby language lol, and point and shake his head yes sometimes. I thought i was late on training. His grandma who is my nurse started getting him trainibg pants abd was saying to start him. I think personal he needs a bit more time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCryss20112
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Thats what i thought, but when one of his grannys started saying he shoukd use the potty and bought him trainingpants i figured we were late
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Aw, no you're not late at this age:)

Quoting MamaCryss20112:

Thats what i thought, but when one of his grannys started saying he shoukd use the potty and bought him trainingpants i figured we were late
MamaCryss20112
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
He understand direction good, he started walking good at nine or ten months, but that talking we got to work on. He says things but i think it should be more. I do feel like i should wait
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCryss20112
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
It was such a relief. I never want to bebehind on teaching my boys anything. Some of our fam thinks they know best a since we are young. Im twenty and so is 22. Thats why we started. But i didnt think he was too ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I gotcha:) I know everyone has their opinions and its hard to know sometimes...even now my mom has things she wishes I did with the kids lol
Some other signs he is ready...taking his diaper off...hand in the pants...what else..those were my biggies anyways!

Quoting MamaCryss20112:

It was such a relief. I never want to bebehind on teaching my boys anything. Some of our fam thinks they know best a since we are young. Im twenty and so is 22. Thats why we started. But i didnt think he was too ready
MomWFiveInTow
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have five boys and have been through this your little one is still a little young around 2 is perfect
my 2 year old just turned 2 and we are working on potty training right now
guess what he runs around NAKED yep and I bet in a week he will be potty trained :) I HOPE.........
when your little one points to things always say what hes pointing at it works ..... really it does and pictures isn't a bad idea also my 2 year old is talking full sentences and is doing great because of it. my mother has nicknamed him chatter box lol 
and like I said naked when they have underwear on or anything right there it just feels to them like they have a diaper on so i decided to just let them run around naked and it worked great for me ....... but yours might be different pick something that will work for you and your comfortable with good luck sweetie and happy training  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)