Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Poll

Question: Have you ever heard of vanishing twin syndrome? Or had one yourself?

Options:

Yes

No, never heard of it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

Anyone ever heard of this? I sure have. I've been pregnant 3 times and had 3 beautiful baby boys. Unfortunately, it could have been 6 babies and 3 pregnancies. My first pregnancy had 2 babies in there at first. But after about 2 months the second fetus was "absorbed". My second pregnancy had 3 babies and the same thing happened. I'm grateful that I have had 3 healthy babies, it's just hard to know that there were more lives in there that never got to come into being.

Has anyone else had a case of vanishing twin syndrome?

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/multiples/vanishingtwin.html

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Replies (11-15):
StarryRain
by Rain on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I've always been very self contradictory. My mom said that I used to dream about my sister, but she never explained until I was an adult.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

That sucks. My first pregnancy we had 2 names picked out. Adam and Ada. Do you ever feel like you're missing something? Or just like a regular single birth person?

Quoting StarryRain:

I am the only twin. My sister was around until the end of the first trimester, and then she was gone. My mom was high risk because of two prior preemies, and ultrasound was newer and super used. In fact, my pediatrician later blamed so many ultrasounds at the military hospital for my ADHD, when he read my records. My adopted parents laughed it off, but I wonder.....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
s.osborne
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM
No but that sounds horrible:(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BrittSam2011
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

My DH says that our kids are so smart because they have twice The brains from their twins. It's not supposed to be funny, but I giggle a little. Our 3 year old is writing his letters but he doesn't actually know the alphabet yet. Lol

Quoting StarryRain:

I've always been very self contradictory. My mom said that I used to dream about my sister, but she never explained until I was an adult.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

That sucks. My first pregnancy we had 2 names picked out. Adam and Ada. Do you ever feel like you're missing something? Or just like a regular single birth person?

Quoting StarryRain:

I am the only twin. My sister was around until the end of the first trimester, and then she was gone. My mom was high risk because of two prior preemies, and ultrasound was newer and super used. In fact, my pediatrician later blamed so many ultrasounds at the military hospital for my ADHD, when he read my records. My adopted parents laughed it off, but I wonder.....

usmcwife.mommy2
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup my youngest brother absorbed the other fetus. We keel satibg thats why hes so hyper at all times....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I have only heard of the water twins. Where one baby is born but 2 water sacs exist. My husbands grandmother said when she gave birth to her 4th baby she had two water sacs and only one had a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)