Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

VANISHING TWIN SYNDROME

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever heard of vanishing twin syndrome? Or had one yourself?

Options:

Yes

No, never heard of it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

Anyone ever heard of this? I sure have. I've been pregnant 3 times and had 3 beautiful baby boys. Unfortunately, it could have been 6 babies and 3 pregnancies. My first pregnancy had 2 babies in there at first. But after about 2 months the second fetus was "absorbed". My second pregnancy had 3 babies and the same thing happened. I'm grateful that I have had 3 healthy babies, it's just hard to know that there were more lives in there that never got to come into being.

Has anyone else had a case of vanishing twin syndrome?

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/multiples/vanishingtwin.html

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KME3
by Kristin on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Yes I have heard of it. Its never happened to me. So sorry 

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yup, heard of it, never experienced it (that I know of, anyway). Its estimated that about half (or something close to that, can't remember exact numbers) of all pregnancies start out with twins, and one gets reabsorbed by the body, without the mother even knowing she was pregnant with twins.

NOLAmommaKRYS
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I've heard of it but I don't think it's ever happened to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aydnsmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It has happened to me with my first pregnacy. My first ultra sound showed two babies. My second showed just one. The doctor even went back and looked closer at the first just to be sure he was right. It was really sad. I kept feeling like I was forgetting something every time I picked out something for ds. When we were thinking of names for ds, it was especially hard because we really like two names.

I have a close friend that had 3 bags of water broken during labor. Her dr said she proably started out with triplets, but two didn't make it very long. I don't know why their amniotic sacks would be there tho.

StarryRain
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I am the only twin. My sister was around until the end of the first trimester, and then she was gone. My mom was high risk because of two prior preemies, and ultrasound was newer and super used. In fact, my pediatrician later blamed so many ultrasounds at the military hospital for my ADHD, when he read my records. My adopted parents laughed it off, but I wonder.....
StarryRain
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
My mom named us Serena and Sarah. But there is no more Serena. :/

Quoting StarryRain:

I am the only twin. My sister was around until the end of the first trimester, and then she was gone. My mom was high risk because of two prior preemies, and ultrasound was newer and super used. In fact, my pediatrician later blamed so many ultrasounds at the military hospital for my ADHD, when he read my records. My adopted parents laughed it off, but I wonder.....
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I've heard of it, no experience with it though

BrittSam2011
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That sucks. My first pregnancy we had 2 names picked out. Adam and Ada. Do you ever feel like you're missing something? Or just like a regular single birth person?

Quoting StarryRain:

deputygirls28
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Heard of it AND experienced it. Yes, it is very strange and having to explain it to people is weird too lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)