Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

The doctor has me going for a level 2 ultrasound because I developed hyperthyroidism with this pregnancy. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm really scared because they said she could be born premature or very small because of it. Have any of you had this problem before? Any ideas on what to expect? Thanks ladies. I'm just really nervous because I want my little girl to be healthy.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
.Peaches.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Did you have any symptoms of something being wrong before you were diagnosed? I'm asking because that kinda determines the treatment you'll get, as well as what trimester you're in (no, I haven't dealt with this, but I'm a nursing student).

MommytoTwo.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

The symptoms I'm having can also be associated with pregnancy so we aren't sure if its because of my thyroid or the pregnancy that I started having the symptoms. They had me on medication but I ran out while I was switching doctors and the endocrinologist said I was on the wrong medication anyway. I am in my 3rd trimester. I'm 32 weeks.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Did you have any symptoms of something being wrong before you were diagnosed? I'm asking because that kinda determines the treatment you'll get, as well as what trimester you're in (no, I haven't dealt with this, but I'm a nursing student).

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

The symptoms I'm having can also be associated with pregnancy so we aren't sure if its because of my thyroid or the pregnancy that I started having the symptoms. They had me on medication but I ran out while I was switching doctors and the endocrinologist said I was on the wrong medication anyway. I am in my 3rd trimester. I'm 32 weeks.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Do you remember the name of the medication you were on? Did they diagnose you with just hyperthyroidism, or did they mention something called Graves disease too? Usually, they'll want to treat you with one of two meds- PTU or MMI, those are the two safest. They do cross the placenta, but the treatment outweighs the risks of no treatment at all.

Some of the things they'll be looking for with the u/s is an enlarged spleen and/or liver, growth retardation, and skull abnormalities. There won't be a lot of chit-chat, as the tech will be really focused on seeing if there's anything there that shouldn't be there. If you have a nice tech, you may get some pictures (we did).

I had to have a level 2 u/s with my youngest, because she had a chronic low heartrate the entire pregnancy, but it turned out to be nothing serious (at that time), but I was worried. I was scheduled to have a C-section, and it had to be moved up a week and a half because of growth retardation (I was 36 weeks, she was measuring 34 weeks). I was scared, but glad when she was delivered perfectly healthy. She's a bouncy, happy, energetic 3 year old now.

MommytoTwo.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Do you remember the name of the medication you were on? Did they diagnose you with just hyperthyroidism, or did they mention something called Graves disease too? Usually, they'll want to treat you with one of two meds- PTU or MMI, those are the two safest. They do cross the placenta, but the treatment outweighs the risks of no treatment at all.

Some of the things they'll be looking for with the u/s is an enlarged spleen and/or liver, growth retardation, and skull abnormalities. There won't be a lot of chit-chat, as the tech will be really focused on seeing if there's anything there that shouldn't be there. If you have a nice tech, you may get some pictures (we did).

I had to have a level 2 u/s with my youngest, because she had a chronic low heartrate the entire pregnancy, but it turned out to be nothing serious (at that time), but I was worried. I was scheduled to have a C-section, and it had to be moved up a week and a half because of growth retardation (I was 36 weeks, she was measuring 34 weeks). I was scared, but glad when she was delivered perfectly healthy. She's a bouncy, happy, energetic 3 year old now.

I was on PTU and he said I should be on something else I'm assuming its the MMI. They just mentioned hyperthyroidism not Graves disease. They said that the amniotic fluid and placenta can be low and they are worried about it detaching? My old doctors office didn't even explain it to me and now my new doctors office is kind of throwing all this information at me at once and its a little overwhelming.

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Quoting .Peaches.:

I was on PTU and he said I should be on something else I'm assuming its the MMI. They just mentioned hyperthyroidism not Graves disease. They said that the amniotic fluid and placenta can be low and they are worried about it detaching? My old doctors office didn't even explain it to me and now my new doctors office is kind of throwing all this information at me at once and its a little overwhelming.

MMI has a risk of something called aplasia cutis, which affects the baby's scalp. Basically, your baby is born without a skin covering or other layers of the scalp, making a 'dent' in the head. That's something that you definitely need to bring up during your visit if he's prescribing you MMI (you don't always have to agree with the doctor's prescription, and can ask for something else if you don't).

Anything you don't understand, ASK ASK ASK QUESTIONS. Doctors are good at throwing a whole lot of information your way, then not really explaining it in a way that people can understand. If you have to, ask if he has any print-out information on what he's telling you, or bring your own paper and pen.

They may also prescribe you something to beta-blockers to slow down your heart rate, but it depends on what they find when looking at baby, and what your thyroid levels look like.

When you give birth, your baby's thryoid levels will be tested- usually something they forget to mention as well.

I think your doctor may be concerned because you mentioned that he said that you were on the wrong medication, and hyperthryoidism left uncontrolled can cause complications to both mom and baby, so they're probably looking to see if that's the case.

They're going to be keeping not only a close eye on the baby, but you as well, because there are some things that could go wrong with you as well (please know, I'm NOT trying to scare you, just keep you informed). Again, it really depends on how high (or low) your levels are in relation to your hyperthyroidism.

MommytoTwo.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Thank you so much. The information you gave me was really useful.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting MommytoTwo.:

Quoting .Peaches.:

MMI has a risk of something called aplasia cutis, which affects the baby's scalp. Basically, your baby is born without a skin covering or other layers of the scalp, making a 'dent' in the head. That's something that you definitely need to bring up during your visit if he's prescribing you MMI (you don't always have to agree with the doctor's prescription, and can ask for something else if you don't).

Anything you don't understand, ASK ASK ASK QUESTIONS. Doctors are good at throwing a whole lot of information your way, then not really explaining it in a way that people can understand. If you have to, ask if he has any print-out information on what he's telling you, or bring your own paper and pen.

They may also prescribe you something to beta-blockers to slow down your heart rate, but it depends on what they find when looking at baby, and what your thyroid levels look like.

When you give birth, your baby's thryoid levels will be tested- usually something they forget to mention as well.

I think your doctor may be concerned because you mentioned that he said that you were on the wrong medication, and hyperthryoidism left uncontrolled can cause complications to both mom and baby, so they're probably looking to see if that's the case.

They're going to be keeping not only a close eye on the baby, but you as well, because there are some things that could go wrong with you as well (please know, I'm NOT trying to scare you, just keep you informed). Again, it really depends on how high (or low) your levels are in relation to your hyperthyroidism.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)