Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Arabic ladies, I need your advice!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 3 Replies
Hello ladies! I have lots of questions. My neighbor is Saudi Arabian and he has shown my son (he is 1) and I so much kindness and I feel unable to repay him his kindness properly. He is always willing to play with my son no matter what he is doing. Tonight I asked if my son could play with him while I brought my groceries in (my fiancé works evenings so he wasn't around). He was just sitting down with his brother and some friends to eat. He invited me in to share their meal, turned their music off to put cartoons on for my son, shared their kava tea. It was a lovely evening and I felt honored that they happily shared a meal with a woman (I don't know how traditional they are and I know in Saudi Arabia it is typically custom for men and women to eat seperately. Is that right?).
The point is I want to repay his kindness and generosity somehow but I don't know how. The next time I make a German meal (which is my heritage and we've discussed it before) I want to bring him some but beyond that I don't know what would be appropriate. I knit so I was thinking I might knit him something traditional but I didn't know if that would be innapropriate. He is married with two sons and they are curretly in Saudi Arabia but will be here in a few months and I don't want to offend her. What could I do? If I do knit something what would be a good thing to make for him? Does anyone have patterns? I would also like to make something for his wife and children but I read that it's considered rude to ask about a man's wife directly. Please help! I want to repay his kindness and welcome his wife and children back when they return. Thank you so much ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
shadow_lark
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I have no idea, but here's a bump for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EAzizM
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I am guessing they are Muslim? If so, don't give anything. Dh is Muslim and hospitality is a big thing for them. It is part of their belief system. They do those things without expecting anything in return. It would be very wrong for a woman to gift a married man something. I say if you want to gift something wait until the wife gets home and gift to her directly after she has had the chance to get to know you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaLioness2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure if they are Muslim, it has not come up in conversation. He seems "Americanized" already and always asks questions. Today he asked me about country music and if I would introduce him to it. He already said it would be fine for me to bring him a meal. I there something I could make for the whole family and then give to his wife? I met her once when she was here before and she's very quiet (as is customary?) and didn't respond to me when I said hello and hurried back in to her apartment. Maybe now that her husband knows me she might open up a little? I just hate when people are so kind to me and I have no way of showing them my appreciation or returning the kindness. It's how I was raised so I have my mother's voice in the back of my head nagging me to be polite. I'm so lost on what to do! Lol!

Quoting EAzizM:

I am guessing they are Muslim? If so, don't give anything. Dh is Muslim and hospitality is a big thing for them. It is part of their belief system. They do those things without expecting anything in return. It would be very wrong for a woman to gift a married man something. I say if you want to gift something wait until the wife gets home and gift to her directly after she has had the chance to get to know you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)