Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Am I the only mom that...

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 8 Replies

has the pickiest kid in the world? She barely wants to eat anything and getting her to eat is a battle. She is so intolerant of her shoes and clothes and this and that....seriously? Why is she so discontent with almost EVERYTHING I do with her?!? All she wants is junk because that's all her dad and stepmom feed her, so when she comes here and is forced to eat healthy things, I'm the bad guy. She only wants certain sorts of shoes, so when my mom tried to surprise her and get her twinkle-toed sneakers, she complained because they don't have shoelaces to tie on and be tight on her feet. She doesn't like her hair in a ponytail, but unless I fight her on it, she hates having her hair brushed because she's too active to just let her hair drag along behind her. She wants to do things herself but takes over an hour to do 4 things in the morning. Her routine is the same every time: breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, get hair brushed. Out of those 4, she only does 3 of them, but dear goodness, it takes her FOREVER to do them unless I'm hounding her and making everyone's morning miserable, and I DO have another child to care for too. I can't just crawl up her butt all morning to get it running smoother; I have to do other things too. Ugh. I need coffee now. I can't wait to win this custody battle and fix all this crap for good. It only goes on because her dad does it over there.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
erin708
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
How old is she? My girls are the same way. My 6yo has to pick out her own stuff. And my 3yo doesn't really eat either. I don't fight her on it. I was the same way and I survived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama.farmer
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

She's 5; I've been dealing with this not eating stuff since she was 1.5. The clothes thing is recent, as in, the last year, and I struggle between knowing whether it's because of her age or the crap her dad pulls, or a combination.

Quoting erin708:

How old is she? My girls are the same way. My 6yo has to pick out her own stuff. And my 3yo doesn't really eat either. I don't fight her on it. I was the same way and I survived.

erin708
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Could be both esp if u two aren't on the same page about things. My 6yo eats everything. My 3yo lives on yogurt, frozen pancakes, and mozz sticks right now. Hoping she grows out of it soon cause if not school lunch will be a nightmare.

Quoting mama.farmer:

She's 5; I've been dealing with this not eating stuff since she was 1.5. The clothes thing is recent, as in, the last year, and I struggle between knowing whether it's because of her age or the crap her dad pulls, or a combination.

Quoting erin708:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Definitely not alone but my own girls weren't ever that picky. My nephew, however, who I keep a lot, is CRAZY picky. About the only things he'll eat willingly are chicken nuggets/strips and french fries, although I did convince him to try some yogurt dip and carrots the other day.

MomWFiveInTow
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

does she like most of her clothes tight ...... belts , shoes , ect
it might be SPD or it might be because shes 5 and her dad and his mother are parental morons look up
(sensory processing disorder) a lot of children start showing signs around 4 or 5 and see if she has anymore signs or symptoms  and if so talk to a doc it will make your life a lot easier
Good luck sweetie happy parenting

boogan1112
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

She's a normal 5 yo. Boys are the same. I see my bf's 5yo son every other weekend and he's exactly the same. They're testing their boundaries, its part of them gaining a sense of being in control of their life. Try giving her more choices like "You can eat the apple or you can eat the banana." Sometimes knowing they have a say in what they do can make them more willing to do things they'd fight otherwise. And in the end, keep your cool, remember to have patience...and go for that 2nd or 3rd or 4th cup of coffee!

mama.farmer
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Wow. Hit the nail on the head. Today she wore some shoes my mom got her for the first time, and they're those kind that look like sparkly converse but have no laces. She got SO mad that they weren't tight enough. She also likes her pants and shirts tighter. I'll definitely talk to her doctor about that.

Quoting MomWFiveInTow:

it might be SPD or it might be because shes 5 and her dad and his mother are parental morons look up
(sensory processing disorder) a lot of children start showing signs around 4 or 5 and see if she has anymore signs or symptoms  and if so talk to a doc it will make your life a lot easier

MomWFiveInTow
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I'm glad I could help I wrote a paper on sensory processing disorder a while back and that's what it kinda sounded like to me.
You should write down what you have noticed about her and the things you have been going through and take that paper with ...... doctors tend to take you more seriously.
and take a deep breath this to is a stage and will get figured out.
people go through struggles in life and it's how they handle them that brings them through stronger, wiser,and hopefully a better person good luck sweetie. stay strong :)

Quoting mama.farmer:

Wow. Hit the nail on the head. Today she wore some shoes my mom got her for the first time, and they're those kind that look like sparkly converse but have no laces. She got SO mad that they weren't tight enough. She also likes her pants and shirts tighter. I'll definitely talk to her doctor about that.

Quoting MomWFiveInTow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN