Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

tax help...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 5 Replies
I'm 21, a full time student, and a mom of an 11 month old. I also work full time. I went to go do my taxes only to find out that my claimed me because she was in a hole and needed help. She didn't talk to me about it beforehand and I'm pretty sure I told her she couldn't claim me as I wasn't living with her for six months nor was she paying 60% of my expenses. I didn't think she could but she says she can because I am a full time student. Even though I didn't use her information when I filed my fafsa last year. Because she claimed me I'm not getting back a good bit of money that I could really use right now. Am I wrong for being angry and can she do this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
erin708
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I don't understand why parents think they can do that if ur supporting urself. I would be PISSED.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britbeth
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I am incredibly pissed. Its almost a 900 loss just because she claimed me and I could really use that money to get out on my own. I stay with my in laws now because I couldn't stand living with her.
TempestRayne
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Did you ask your tax preparer? Who did you go to?
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this
If you can prove you did not live with her more than half of the year and supported yourself, you can take legal action.

Contact the IRS immediately (the fraud number)! They will take action for you.

Personally, I wouldn't stand for that. On principle alone it is wrong and illegal, let alone the money.
I'd give her the option to give you the $ difference it hurt you immediately, or report her.
britbeth
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM
My father in law was helping me with my taxes. I don't want to report her,she can't handle the legal repercussions right now,but I'm not sure if she would give the difference to me. I have been so livid I don't even want to talk to her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN