Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

update in purple :)! no you may not name our baby THAT! WWYD? (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

after  a lot of replies from this group, adn the other that  i posted, I called him. and told him we could figure out what Berta means, and look for similar meanings in the nahuatl language; that way, he honors his mom... and that way Im not stuck with a horrible baby name ( weelll.. I didnt say it like that!!-... LOL)  he said it was a good idea and thanked me for making the effort to honor his mom with the baby's name : )

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES :)

ok,

so my hubby's moter just passed away this november. with that being said... this pregnancy has been an up and down roller coaster of emotions for him. its like bittersweet because we planned it for over a year. we tried to conceive for like 11 mos. and just when I find out I am pregnant, litterally one week after I found out, his mom passed.

so.. we are both into our AZTEC roots, and we both study the aztec language. I aslo study about the mayan callendar. and we had talked about not giving our child a spanish name.. becasue even if we choose anahuatl name, or a mayan name, and mix it with a spanish name. the spanish one is taken as the legal one, and the other one is overwritten...  its a cultural thing...

my daughter's name is a mix betwen nahuatl ( the aztec language) and mayan- they are significant to her birth date. in the toltec calendar ( aztec) and the mayan callendr.

her name is Ketzalli Balam. ( kate-sally as an american once wrote it :D)

we had lready agreed that our baby would ghave a similar name, maybe not mayan, since my s/o isnt too much into the mayan callendar. we are waiting for the baby to be born so we can determine from the birth date waht name suits the baby best.

this is cultural tradition,a nd we had agreed we would handle it this way.

so Last night. he turns around and looks at me and tells me. if its a girl, he wants her to be named after his mother BERTHA..

NO WAY NOT EVER IN A MILLION YEARS will I name bertha to a daughter of mine, I hve never liked the name,. I loved my mil.. enough to change her diapers when she was sick... but this is going TOO far.

so I told him no. he asked why, i explained we had lready agreed no spanish names.   or english names.. or any other language other than nahuatl.

he said ok, but I could see he is sad.

i feel guilty now but I dont like the name..

AT ALL!!!!!!

WWYD'??'

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aydnsmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If he was close to his mother, then I would find a way to incorporate her name into your baby's name in a way you two can agree on. I am not familar on the languages you mentioned, so I have no idea how it would work, but I know I would try really hard. But, at the same time, I understand where you are coming from. DH is a jr and wanted to name ds a 3rd. I said absolutly NOT! I hate the concept of 3rds. So DS got DH's middle name and last name.

I would try to compromise

mommybellygirl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

i dont know thats a hard one... i am so picky about names that it would be difficult. but in the end i would probably name the baby after my husbands mother. at least the middle name.

Baby_Avas_Momma
Make it her middle name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
1 mom liked this
Hell no. Bertha?! She'd be teased mercilessly! I get that he loves his Mom, but NO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missamanda86
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I would find a way to incorporate it. Like, I hate the name Irene, but it was Dh great grandma, so *if* we have another daughter (and god I hope we dont lol, one drama queen is enough) I want to name her Emmalyn Deana Irene. Yes I know it's a mouthful, but it's honoring BOTH of his grandmothers who he loved dearly.

VictoriousTory
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Maybe have it as a middle name or second middle name to carry on her legacy? I mean I see where you are going with the name thing ( super cool by the way ) but life changes and if its really important to him maybe you should consider it... 

With that being said, when we were thinking of boy names for our last baby ( who is now 17mos ) SO liked Wolfgang... 0_o I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. He thought it was a strong German name and kids WOULDN'T make fun of him because it was so manly.... yea... ok.... I said nope. Sorry, I draw the line there. I didn't mind considering classic German names since we are both German, but, thats going a wee bit too far!!!!!!!! He would call him Wolfie while in the womb and told the Dr's when I was in labor thats what he wanted! I told all the nurses NOT to let him near that birth certicifate!!!!!!!!!! lol He wouldn't have done it behind my back but I wasn't taking any chances, We finally agreed on Fisher. But we don't ever call him that.... we call him Boog. lol 

Bl3ss3dMommi
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe find Bertha in other languages like my cousin took the name Elizabeth i had picked out so i went to Elise which is the French form of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Itzy0ll0tl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

actually  Ihave been thinking, and thanks to all your replies, I think, I may be able to come up with a nahuatl word for the meaning of berta..

that way, the name stays.. but not in the language I dont want it to :)  

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

If he was close to his mother, then I would find a way to incorporate her name into your baby's name in a way you two can agree on. I am not familar on the languages you mentioned, so I have no idea how it would work, but I know I would try really hard. But, at the same time, I understand where you are coming from. DH is a jr and wanted to name ds a 3rd. I said absolutly NOT! I hate the concept of 3rds. So DS got DH's middle name and last name.

I would try to compromise

maddiesmommy5
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Imagine the ways that poor child would be teased in school! maybe try to incorporate your mils name into it like having your dds name start with a B? Or maybe using your mil middle name?  I just couldnt name a child that but GL.

MomWFiveInTow
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a hard one
I agree you can use his mothers first or middle name as the babies middle name so you both can pick out a nuhuati first name together
I have five boys and I fought with each pregnancy to keep the name earl out of my boys names I finally gave in and put earl into our fifth sons name  I HATE THE NAME EARL so much but it made him happy so I did it  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN